However, reports today suggest that Leicester could still have a job on their hands to keep the Algerian beyond the summer.
Savage- writing in his column for The Daily Mirror- has said that he doesn't see the point in Leicester insisting on keeping Mahrez when he is clearly unhappy, while urging the former Premier League champions to cut their losses in the summer.
Claude Puel's side are eighth in the Premier League, though they are closer to the bottom three than the top four with 12 games remaining.
"He is our friend and I think all the staff and all the players will help him to come back with a good mentality and a positive attitude and to enjoy his football with his teammates", he said. We need to stay united after all this.
The whole situation leaves Mahrez in a very hard position.
"We will see when we can manage all this for the future". "I hope he can come back happy and find a smile with his team-mates". It was an opportunity for him.
The story of a player being denied a move to a bigger team is not a new one, but as Leicester are now discovering, the fallout can be all too real..
"We created lots of chances with quality and good combinations, a good understanding".
Should Mahrez back down, his next appearance could come at the Etihad Stadium against City when Leicester travel to Manchester next Saturday.
Mahrez was desperate to force through a transfer to Manchester City and is not believed to be in the right frame of mind after the deal collapsed.
The 26-year-old winger refused to train with the rest of the squad yesterday, and he did not show up on Sunday's game against Swansea City.
The Foxes were left in the dark by Mahrez's absence ahead of the trip to Goodison Park.
Pep Guardiola's side reportedly made a £65 million bid for the winger as they looked to add depth to their attack, following an injury to Germany worldwide Leroy Sane.
- Mourinho on Huddersfield win: We had to break down the Berlin wall
- Antonio Conte opens up about his future at Chelsea
- Rex Tillerson and Luis Videgaray talk security, migration during Mexico visit
- Girl (12) arrested after five people wounded in school shooting
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Moscow disappointed by content of new US Nuclear Doctrine
- Skipper Virat Kohli Guides Team India to Comfortable Win Over Proteas
- Rose McGowan tells Ronan Farrow of another "very famous" Hollywood predator
- Polar Bears Are Swimming Themselves To Death As Sea Ice Melts
- Father attempts to attack Nassar during victim testimonies