However, reports today suggest that Leicester could still have a job on their hands to keep the Algerian beyond the summer.
Savage- writing in his column for The Daily Mirror- has said that he doesn't see the point in Leicester insisting on keeping Mahrez when he is clearly unhappy, while urging the former Premier League champions to cut their losses in the summer.
Claude Puel's side are eighth in the Premier League, though they are closer to the bottom three than the top four with 12 games remaining.
"He is our friend and I think all the staff and all the players will help him to come back with a good mentality and a positive attitude and to enjoy his football with his teammates", he said. We need to stay united after all this.
The whole situation leaves Mahrez in a very hard position.
"We will see when we can manage all this for the future". "I hope he can come back happy and find a smile with his team-mates". It was an opportunity for him.
The story of a player being denied a move to a bigger team is not a new one, but as Leicester are now discovering, the fallout can be all too real..
"We created lots of chances with quality and good combinations, a good understanding".
Should Mahrez back down, his next appearance could come at the Etihad Stadium against City when Leicester travel to Manchester next Saturday.
Mahrez was desperate to force through a transfer to Manchester City and is not believed to be in the right frame of mind after the deal collapsed.
The 26-year-old winger refused to train with the rest of the squad yesterday, and he did not show up on Sunday's game against Swansea City.
The Foxes were left in the dark by Mahrez's absence ahead of the trip to Goodison Park.
Pep Guardiola's side reportedly made a £65 million bid for the winger as they looked to add depth to their attack, following an injury to Germany worldwide Leroy Sane.
- New look at Natalie Wood's 1981 death resurfaces old name: Robert Wagner
- Groundhog Day 2018: Who is Punxsutawney Phil? Did he see his shadow?
- Russian Federation to create competition for banned Winter Olympics athletes
- Man arrested after shooting attack on foreigners in Italy
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Girl (12) arrested after five people wounded in school shooting
- Better than Salah - Everton fans rave about attacker display v Leicester
- Smoking driver causes fire, crash in Shanghai, police say; pedestrians hurt
- Politicians on Amtrak train which hit truck
- Father attempts to attack Nassar during victim testimonies