Ahead of kick-off, there was an impeccably observed minute's silence to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the Munich air disaster, which falls on Tuesday, before the first half ended goalless after a physical Huddersfield team did all they could to keep United out.
Mata was also pleased for Sanchez as he capped a man-of-the-match performance on his home debut with a goal.
After an uneventful first half, Romelu Lukaku gave United the lead on 55 minutes with a close-range volley. Chris Smalling got away a tame header as the Terriers continued to be starved of possession.
United were unlucky not to win a penalty in the 20th minute as Kongolo clattered into McTominay in an aerial clash and completely missed the ball.
However, Huddersfield's resistance was finally brought to an end just before the hour.
RatingsPaul Pogba (right) came on in the 65th minute having been dropped to the bench (Martin Rickett/PA).
And much to the Chilean's relief, he tapped home the rebound after Jonas Lossl had saved his initial effort from the penalty spot to open his United account after joining from Arsenal on reportedly the biggest ever contract in Premier League history.
This was the first League meeting at Old Trafford between United and the West Yorkshire side since Saturday 11 March 1972 but, of course, the corresponding fixture at the John Smith's Stadium ended in a shock 2-1 defeat.
"I remember Portsmouth - such a small stadium, the atmosphere was absolutely incredible".
The Lancashire-born academy graduate is certainly held in high regard at Old Trafford, but fans are in uproar about his inclusion in the starting line-up.
David Wagner's side went into the contest on the back of four straight Premier League losses, with their impressive start to the season, including a 2-1 win over United on home soil, long forgotten.
His goal, which interrupted an otherwise quiet game up front, provided a lesson for United's attacking midfield players: that if find Lukaku in the box, he will produce a decisive touch.
- Better than Salah - Everton fans rave about attacker display v Leicester
- Mourinho on Huddersfield win: We had to break down the Berlin wall
- Polar Bears Are Swimming Themselves To Death As Sea Ice Melts
- Man arrested after shooting attack on foreigners in Italy
- Rose McGowan tells Ronan Farrow of another "very famous" Hollywood predator
- Groundhog Day 2018: Who is Punxsutawney Phil? Did he see his shadow?
- Redskins could franchise tag Kirk Cousins to trade him
- Moscow disappointed by content of new US Nuclear Doctrine
- Girl (12) arrested after five people wounded in school shooting
- Black History Month In Focus: 15 Folks Who Made History in 2017