Fiji ended New Zealand's hopes of winning a tournament in front of their home fans.
Coach Clark Laidlaw lamented how they let a place in the final slip through their fingers.
"But we have got stronger".
"It would be wonderful for the global game and Fiji has contributed a lot to Sevens".
South Africa appeared on course for another comfortable victory, when they established a 17-5 lead at half-time against Fiji.
New Zealand's Sam Dickson was on the score sheet against Fiji.
The Blitzboks suffered a setback just before halftime as Senatla was yellow-carded and Australia took advantage of the situation and managed a Tim Anstee try (unconverted) moments ahead of the hooter (10-5).
FIJIAN rugby trademark off-loads hit global limelight again yesterday when Fiji Airways Fiji 7s reps, Kalione Nasoko and Alosio Naduva combined twice to score the winning tries for Fiji in the Cup final of the Hamilton 7s in New Zealand last night.
William Ambaka's try stretched Kenya's lead to 33-14 and they safely held on despite conceding a late try.
Paula Dranisinukula of Fiji makes a break against South Africa
The match against France was a glimpse of the potential of the side, with winger Nadine Roos and outside back Veroeshka Grain scoring a brace in a satisfying 29-14 win.
Vilimoni Koroi breaking clear to score for New Zealand against England in Hamilton.
Fiji were that close to losing.
Bottom-rooted Kisii also registered their first win of the campaign after upsetting visiting Mwamba 18-12 as Kenya Harlequin humiliated Regional Logistics Mombasa 80-0 at the RFUEA.
But they later left the field as champions.
The result saw Shujaa drop to the fifth place semifinals where they beat Scotland 33-19 to book a final berth with Samoa.
It served as something of a consolation prize for Stannard, who had endured a horror game in the 24-5 semi-final loss.
In Hamilton, Kenya beat both Samoa and Canada with identical 19-14 margins in pool matches, drew 19-19 with United States of America, before losing 33-12 to Australia in Cup quarters.
Bronze medal match: New Zealand 7-8 Australia.
- Man U supervisor Mourinho says ambiance quiet at Previous Trafford
- What Happens in Pyeongchang, Stays in Pyeongchang: Olympic Village Stocks 110000 Condoms
- Moscow disappointed by content of new US Nuclear Doctrine
- Pope talks Jerusalem with Turkey's Erdogan
- Redskins could franchise tag Kirk Cousins to trade him
- The Cloverfield Paradox Launches on Netflix Following Trailer Unveiling
- Skipper Virat Kohli Guides Team India to Comfortable Win Over Proteas
- The Nintendo Switch Has Surpassed The Wii U Lifetime Sales
- No discussions to fire Rosenstein: White House
- New look at Natalie Wood's 1981 death resurfaces old name: Robert Wagner