"A trainwreck of a sci-fi flick bent on extending a franchise that should have died a peaceful death nearly exactly one decade ago, Julius Onah's The Cloverfield Paradox follows the lead of the far-superior 10 Cloverfield Lane in imagining a Cloverfield spinoff whose genre ingredients have little to do with the original found-footage, giant-monster flick".
The out-of-the-blue announcement generated lots of buzz during the game, but as soon as critics started watching, they found the actual film to be a mess.
Despite the groundbreaking nature of the film's release, critical reception for The Cloverfield Paradox is lukewarm. But while those films felt zoomed into a tight set of characters, The Cloverfield Paradox encompasses a whole earth on the brink of panic. "It serves as the follow-up to the hit 2008 original film, 'Cloverfield, ' and its popular 2016 sequel, '10 Cloverfield Lane.' Like its two predecessors, 'The Cloverfield Paradox" was produced by J.J. Abrams, and is a Bad Robot Production. Up on the Cloverfield Station, she struggles to find a way to save the world alongside scientists from around the world (David Oyelowo, Daniel Brühl, Zhang Ziyi, Chris O'Dowd, John Ortiz and Aksel Hennie).
The Cloverfield Paradox is the latest entry in the ever-changing Cloverfield franchise, and, sadly, it's not that great. It turns out that the astronauts who were sent into space to solve the planet's energy problem are the ones who inadvertently unleash the monsters that we see in Cloverfield (we get to briefly relive their terror through Michael). On the contrary, I think this film could put pressure on the producers of the other Cloverfield movies to come and force them to give the audience what they want: the monsters! This is Onah's first big feature project.
It's hard to get into the meta-narrative without spoiling too much (and, since I'm writing this review about two hours after the film suddenly appeared on Netflix, I'm hesitant to give anything away). Originally titled God Particle, The Cloverfield Paradox wasn't meant to be a secret, "Lemonade"-style release".
- Man arrested after shooting attack on foreigners in Italy
- Skipper Virat Kohli Guides Team India to Comfortable Win Over Proteas
- Henrikh Mkhitaryan can be the new creative outlet
- Smoking driver causes fire, crash in Shanghai, police say; pedestrians hurt
- Mahrez-less Leicester upended by Swansea
- Mourinho on Huddersfield win: We had to break down the Berlin wall
- Rose McGowan tells Ronan Farrow of another "very famous" Hollywood predator
- Father attempts to attack Nassar during victim testimonies
- Polar Bears Are Swimming Themselves To Death As Sea Ice Melts
- Maldives exiled ex-prez says he will run again for office