A tsunami warning test message had many people panicked Tuesday morning. The message was pushed to mobile devices throughout the East Coast, the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean.
Once the message was opened, the alert clearly said it was a test.
A USA private forecasting company took a routine National Weather Service test message and sent it to people's phones as an official tsunami warning on Tuesday morning. People in NY also reportedly received the warning, as did people in Maine. The agency's chief resigned and the worker who sent the alert was sacked.
Did you get a tsunami warning for Palm Beach County this morning? It read, "Tsunami Warning in effect until 8:28 AM CST".
Cory Lum Civil Beat via AP FILE A highway sign reads"MISSILE ALERT ERROR THERE IS NO THREAT on the H-1 Freeway in Honolulu Hawaii Jan. 13 2018
The message "was meant to only go to state warning points and certain other government agencies".
On Jan. 13, due to a staff error, the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency sent out a nuclear missile warning instructing people to immediately find shelter. Please stay tuned for more updates.
"Hey Accuweather", tweeted one Brooklyn man who got the alert through that app.
The alert was quickly corrected, and within five minutes the National Weather Service was issuing all clear messages on its various social media accounts.
Days after the Hawaii warning, a Japan broadcaster mistakenly sent a text-message alert.
"I don't know how that happened, but they should have written that it was a test on the notification itself, especially after what happened in Hawaii last month with the missile alert". The weather service typically issues a live warning, which is then disseminated by private companies and received by subscribers.
- Broadcom Makes 'Best and Final' $120 Billion Buyout Offer for Qualcomm
- LeBron James' Warriors interest comes with Cavs at rock bottom
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Henrikh Mkhitaryan can be the new creative outlet
- The Cloverfield Paradox Launches on Netflix Following Trailer Unveiling
- Fiji roll South Africa to win Hamilton Sevens
- Matt Patricia Offers Little on Malcolm Butler Benching
- Most active Western Conference teams this offseason
- Parisa Fitz-Henley, Murray Fraser to Star in 'Harry & Meghan' Lifetime Movie
- Top smartphones for gaming