Taufatofua competed in taekwondo in Rio, and is back competing in cross-country skiing, despite representing a tropical south Pacific island nation where it doesn't snow.
While some outlets speculated on how it was deemed too cold to do the Winter Olympics, there were also some competitors who were planning to skip the intro celebrations all together due to the extreme cold weather. The Rio 2016 Summer Games were no exception. Cold enough that a number of news outlets have run stories with headlines wondering if it is actually too cold to run a Winter Olympics. He became popular during the opening ceremony of the Rio Games when he carried his countries flag into Maracanã Stadium shirtless.
"I won't freeze. I am from Tonga".
A wry smile creeps across Taufatofua's face at the mention of roller skiing - "quite possibly the worst thing ever invented", he says. "But this is a distance sport where you have to hold this certain level of pain for up to an hour, then cross the finish line and you just die".
As is the case at every Olympic Opening Ceremony, the Olympic Cauldron was the climax of the event.
"Changed my mind, I'm supporting Tonga", one person commented after seeing Tonga's entrance.
- Tsunami warning issued as a test in US, Tampa Bay
- DEADPOOL 2 Trailer: Oh Shit! Meet Cable
- Josh McDaniels named new head coach of Indianapolis Colts
- White House Aide Resigns After Ex-Wives Claim Domestic Abuse
- CAS to hear last-ditch Winter Olympics plea by 32 Russian athletes
- Germany coalition talks: Merkel's conservatives and SPD clinch deal
- 'Speedy' decision promised on South Africa's Zuma's future
- Amid Volatility Surge, Credit Suisse Terminates VelocityShares ETN
- Kristaps Porzingis tears his ACL, out for season
- Flawed US policy to make world's nuclear peril greater — Interview