Bobby Cameron, the chief of the Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations noted a real problem with Stanley's assertion that the gun he was holding "accidentally went off", killing Boushie.
Rallies are being held across Canada this weekend in the wake of a jury finding Gerald Stanley not guilty of the second-degree murder of Colten Boushie.
"I'm here because I couldn't sleep last night I was so upset". His lawyers had argued the shooting was accidental.
"What a bunch of garbage".
Cameron said "a lot of questions have to be answered".
"He should never have been appointed".
"The justice system needs to stop locking up our youths".
The Indigenous Joint Action Coalition has kept a GoFundMe campaign open to support the Boushie family to help them cope with their loss.
"We will not give up our fight for justice", Boushie's cousin Jade Tootoosis said on the courthouse steps, adding that her family has felt uncomfortable and victimized throughout the process.
A summary of witness accounts in the RCMP's August 10, 2016, application to search the Stanley home says, "Gerald Stanley agreed with [RCMP] Const. [Aaron] Gullacher when Const. Gulacher told him that Gerald Stanley went up to the driver's side window and shot the male driver once in the head and killed him".
"Our people are not going to wait another 150 years".
Baptiste called for an end to the prejudice and racism directed to Indigenous people from the justice system, the health system and universities.
"Indigenous people across this country are angry, they're heartbroken", he said.
The trial heard that Boushie, from the Red Pheasant First Nation, was shot in the head while he was sitting in an SUV that had been driven onto Stanley's farm near Biggar, Sask.
However, he said the shooting has made him and others more cautious when driving between the community and Saskatoon.
Perry Bellegarde, national chief of the Assembly of First Nations, took to Twitter to express his belief that justice was not served in the case. "It breaks my heart".
That emotion drew at least two hundred people to a snowy sidewalk outside the Edmonton Police Services' downtown headquarters Saturday to support the family of Colten Boushie. "But the verdict, I'm very disappointed".
The high-profile trial has drawn attention across Canada, and both Wilson-Raybould and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau acknowledged the verdict on social media on Friday night.
"I think about how all that we've done to try and build relationships", says Grand Council Chief Madahbee".
She also denounced the arrests and interrogation of the Crown witnesses from the grey Ford Escape vehicle that wound up on the Stanley property. He said they would evaluate their options. "The jury was wrong". Federal Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould tweeted that Canada "can and must do better".
"The jury's job is to render a just verdict, so they are taking their job seriously and, frankly, whatever verdict the jury comes up with in this case, I believe that based on the evidence that they've heard it will be a reasonable verdict", Chris Murphy said.
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- Late-Night Comedians Dump on 'Dictator' Trump for Military Parade Idea
- HomePod: The secure smart speaker that's big on music
- Ohio State storms back to upset Purdue
- Former Celtic, Man Utd, Leeds star Liam Miller passes away
- Qualcomm rejects Broadcom's $121 billion buyout bid
- Smart money points to Trump charge
- Islam Slimani eyes permanent Newcastle United stay
- White House Aide Resigns After Ex-Wives Claim Domestic Abuse