After a bright start from Newcastle, United began to get more of a foothold in the game, with Sanchez in particular looking capable of producing something, but his early link-up play with Martial and Lukaku didn't quite work out. Manchester United, meanwhile, remain in second place but looked poor defensively and could not match their opponents' desire and commitment, which will surely concern Mourinho.
'For Mourinho and United, it's about finding the right position for him, but he isn't a playmaker. The goalkeeper turned a deflected shot from Jesse Lingard round his post and also denied Anthony Martial with his left foot.
The midfielder has been linked with a move to the Premier League for a long time with Zinedine Zidane regularly preferring different options in his starting line-up. He appeared to be feeling an injury in the warmup and was seen walking gingerly after the match, although Mourinho said there was no problem with the player.
Pogba is back in the first XI after being dropped for the 2-0 win over Huddersfield, while Mourinho has surprisingly restored the back four of Antonio Valencia, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones and Ashley Young that performed poorly against Spurs. It is becoming a dilemma for Mourinho as he tries to accommodate Sanchez.
Dwight Gayle has had a hand in a goal in both of Newcaste's Premier League clashes with Manchester United this season, scoring at Old Trafford in November before assisting Matt Ritchie at St. James' Park.
A third substitution followed, Scott McTominay coming on for Matic, and seconds later Martial had another chance for United but saw his scuffed effort scrambled away from inside the Newcastle six-yard box.
Alexis Sanchez 7 - An ebullient, tenacious attacking display from the Chilean.
"I enjoyed it today", said Liverpool center back Virgil van Dijk, with a smirk.
"United need a better mix there to keep the ball better, make them a better watch and more threatening, with better quality into their strikers". Salah was accomplished at the other end, too. "I think it's a handsome way to win a football match".
Huddersfield escaped the bottom three on Sunday as they snapped a five-game losing sequence.
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp brought on another ex-Southampton man, Adam Lallana, for Firmino, as the visitors ran down the clock easily, Lallana firing wide when he should have scored, to leave the Saints in the bottom three.
- Spirit Airlines allegedly told student to flush emotional support hamster down toilet
- China Police Officers Use Facial Recognition Glasses To Catch Criminals
- How Many Americans Are Competing At the Olympics?
- More snow on the way Saturday night into Sunday morning
- Ohio State storms back to upset Purdue
- The Wagner Bowman Management Corp Boosts Stake in Cisco Systems, Inc. (CSCO)
- Qualcomm rejects Broadcom's $121 billion buyout bid
- Former Celtic, Man Utd, Leeds star Liam Miller passes away
- PM Narendra Modi meets President Abbas Mahmoud on historic visit to Palestine
- Halifax rally planned Saturday during 'day of action' after Boushie verdict