If most coaches are mere figureheads and players run teams anyways, maybe it's time for the player-coaches to emerge as an option for teams in the National Basketball Association.
The game had been somewhat of an experiment to Golden State and Steve Kerr, as he handed play-calling duties to the players themselves.
And while the Warriors (44-13) looked like the team of old on the court, it was something new on the sideline that demanded all the attention.
Later it was Draymond Green's turn to coach. "They already say LeBron's coaching the team anyway, so if I give him the clipboard they're really gonna say that", Lue said, via ESPN's Royce Young". He defended well and penetrated the Nuggets' defense by getting into the key and making plays down low. And as coaches, our job is to nudge them in the right direction, guide them, but we don't control them.
"I don't think it's something we would do often, but I think it's a good exercise", the coach said. West netted six points and had five rebounds and four assists.
"I was disgusting", Curry said.
"I think it's exactly what I expected", Kerr said of the challenge of keeping his team engaged. "I actually got a delay of game coming out of halftime because I was scrambling".
It'd be a great way for aging athletes to transition into the coaching world seamlessly (unlike recent player-turned-coaches who were fired quickly such as Derek Fisher, Jason Kidd and Earl Watson). Nor did it entail Omri Casspi (19 points), Kevin Durant (17), Klay Thompson (16) and Nick Young (14) complementing the offense. I told Jay afterward, 'People may make a big deal of it. "I wasn't reaching them so we figured this was a good night to pull something out of the hat".
Kerr believes the Warriors have struggled with inconsistency in part because they're exhausted of hearing his voice. The Warriors did not just secure a 129-83 win over the Phoenix Suns due to their superior talent. The team still lost both games, but he did chip in 20 points in 32 minutes in that win over the Heat. I don't feel like we've focused well the past month, and just it seemed like the right thing to do.
"I put a lot of effort into spacing the floor more and shooting more 3-pointers", he said of his efforts to return to form following his absence.
But the Warriors haven't been their completely dominant selves as of late.
But this move by Kerr is especially brilliant, and provides valuable takeaways for anyone leading a team.
- Former Celtic, Man Utd, Leeds star Liam Miller passes away
- Plane carrying 71 people crashes near Moscow
- Gary Neville podcast - Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United
- Third militant killed, death toll reaches 5 — Sunjwan attack
- More snow on the way Saturday night into Sunday morning
- Manchester United fans troll Arsenal after Henrikh Mkhitaryan 'shambles' v Spurs
- Is This The Start Of A Bond Bear Market?
- PM Narendra Modi meets President Abbas Mahmoud on historic visit to Palestine
- The Wagner Bowman Management Corp Boosts Stake in Cisco Systems, Inc. (CSCO)
- De Villiers back in squad for last three ODIs against India