Alpine Skiing at the Pyeongchang Olympics finally got under way after two days of weather postponements when the men's combined event started at the Jeongseon Alpine Centre on Tuesday. Skiers must sneak inside each gate - a pair of flags that denote the sharp turns of the slalom course - without missing a single one, all while maintaining speed in a timed race to the bottom.
"If the wind continues to blow for then next 15 days it might be a problem but at present everything is okay", IOC Presidential spokesperson Mark Adams said.
A shortened women's snowboard slopestyle final went ahead on Monday in high winds, after qualifying was cancelled completely a day earlier. The event was also postponed on Sunday because of conditions.
That super-G was originally scheduled for Thursday but was pushed to Friday once the men's downhill was moved.
After several delays in the schedule, the event was eventually called off as the hurricane-like winds made it impossible for the athletes, including the U.S. rising star Mikaela Shiffrin, to compete in such weather conditions, reports Efe.
Shiffrin is looking to defend the gold medal she won in the slalom at the 2014 Sochi Games but will have to wait until Thursday night to do so, per Heather Cox of NBC Sports.
Ligety also won the alpine combined world title in 2013 and could become the third man to win this event at least three times at the Olympic Winter Games and World Championships combined, after Aamodt with four and Luxembourg's Marc Girardelli with three. "But with the training block I've had, I'm prepared and feeling good".
According to Matt Renoux, our reporter in PyeongChang, it was windy and snowing shortly before the delayed start time. "We have plenty of time to get all the competition in". At last year's world championships in St. Moritz, Switzerland, the two downhills were back-to-back on the same hill.
Wednesday's slalom program was made up of runs one and two. Another possibility would be to delay the start of the downhill in hopes of calmer conditions and push the slalom back three hours so it would be run under the lights at 6 p.m. local time.
- Guardiola: Winning Premier League Title Will Be Special For Man City
- How Many Americans Are Competing At the Olympics?
- Iran is playing with fire in Syria
- Government shutdown ends. Congress authorizes trillion-dollar deficit, raises debt ceiling
- National Pizza Day: Where to get the best deals
- Former Celtic, Man Utd, Leeds star Liam Miller passes away
- Swiss curlers stun with flawless score to beat US
- PM Narendra Modi meets President Abbas Mahmoud on historic visit to Palestine
- Islam Slimani eyes permanent Newcastle United stay
- Players should coach in the National Basketball Association