Lamar, Tiffith and Disney declined to comment.
The soundtrack has played a key role in the prediction for the film, set to release in theaters on February 16, to break box-office records. The video is of a song taken from the soundtrack to the upcoming movie Black Panther. Elsewhere, however, Black Panther: The Album has far loftier ambitions, proving itself to be every bit as audacious and experimental as we've come to expect from seven-times Grammy victor Lamar.
After Lamar's music was featured in some of the trailers for Black Panther, fans assumed that he'd create a song or two for the soundtrack. When Okay Africa published a post about the highly anticipated music video, they noted, "The work and influence of British-Liberian artist Lina Iris Viktor can be clearly spotted". Before collaborating in Pray For Me in the Black Panther album, Kendrick collaborated with XO gang leader in his 2017 Starboy album in their track Sidewalks. "He talked about my movies that he had seen, and we said if the opportunity comes, we'd love to work with each other on something".
What the Black Panther soundtrack lacks in pure aural aestheticism, it more than makes up for in intent. His approach might not be risky or groundbreaking, but he excels at what he does here. Though the quality of the tracks is not as consistent as it might be on a solo album, there certainly are noteworthy verses from Lamar. As well as The Weeknd and Travis Scott, there's Jorja Smith; Anderson.Paak; Vince Staples; Future; Khalid and this year's breakout R&B act SZA.
Since the project involved Lamar there had to, of course, be lyrics peppered with political statements, like in "Paramedic" - a favorite of many - "One fist in the air, I ain't finna put my hands up".
- PM Narendra Modi meets President Abbas Mahmoud on historic visit to Palestine
- Gary Neville podcast - Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United
- Tottenham Deserved Victory Vs Juventus- Mauricio Pochettino
- Iran is playing with fire in Syria
- More snow on the way Saturday night into Sunday morning
- Cryptocurrency hack: Croydon Council website one of more than 4000 affected
- Government shutdown ends. Congress authorizes trillion-dollar deficit, raises debt ceiling
- HomePod: The secure smart speaker that's big on music
- Winter Olympics 2018: Weather in Pyeongchang postpones women's slalom for second time
- Plane carrying 71 people crashes near Moscow