Sheriffs officials said that Cruz was initially taken to a hospital for labored breathing before being questioned at sheriff's headquarters.
"Some of our policymakers and some people need to - they need to look in the mirror and take some action because ideas are great but without action, ideas stay ideas and children die", Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School senior David Hogg told CNN's "New Day". The victims were both pupils and teachers.
The suspect, Nikolas Cruz, a 19-year-old former student, is in custody.
A shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida this week left 17 dead and sparked a round of calls for more gun control. Police charged Nikolas Cruz, 19 with 17 counts of premeditated murder on Thursday morning. He made his first court appearance Thursday afternoon where Judge Kim Theresa Mollica ordered he be held without bond.
Lowering the flags is literally the least he could do.
Jim Gard, a math teacher at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, said Cruz had been aggressive towards students in the past.
Cruz's mother Lynda Cruz died of pneumonia in November, neighbors, friends and family members said, according to the Sun Sentinel.
How did the attack unfold?Police say Cruz was equipped with a gas mask, smoke grenades and multiple magazines of ammunition.
"This is a kid who went from middle of the pack past year to to being just lights out", Bailey said.
Students and parents arrive for a vigil at the Pines Trail Center, Feb. 15, 2018, in Parkland, Fla., for victims of the Parkland school shooting.
Most of the fatalities were inside the building, though some victims were found fatally shot outside, the sheriff said.
"It wasn't like there wasn't concern for him", Furr said.
"And some of the things that have come to mind are very, very disturbing", he added without elaborating.
Mutchler recalled Cruz posting on Instagram about killing animals and said he had talked about doing target practice in his backyard with a pellet gun.
Addressing the nation Thursday, the president said "we are all joined together as one American family".
"This happens nowhere else other than the United States of America - this epidemic of mass slaughter, this scourge of school shooting after school shooting", the junior Senator from Connecticut, Christopher Murphy, said on the Senate floor yesterday.
- UK Inflation Remains Stable At 3%
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War
- Trump presses Senate to adopt his immigration priorities
- Alpine skiing-Men's downhill postponed due to high winds
- 'Remarkable': Dying US woman's last words were to identify her 'killers'
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- Winter Olympics 2018: Weather in Pyeongchang postpones women's slalom for second time
- Tottenham Deserved Victory Vs Juventus- Mauricio Pochettino
- Cryptocurrency hack: Croydon Council website one of more than 4000 affected