The company announced Thursday that cheeseburgers will be removed from the list of options by 2022, though they can still be requested afterwards.
Menu entrée choices will be limited to the hamburger as well four-piece and six-piece Chicken McNuggets.
McDonald's will make the changes, including new nutritional standards for the Happy Meal changes, by June in the United States.
You can actually still order them in Happy Meals if you ask the server.
"Not listing a cheeseburger on a menu and sending chocolate milk back to the lab is a far cry from the change people are demanding", she continued. The revised #Health driven menu would cut down on the calories and ensure lesser intake of harmful items like sugar, and fat that are responsible for obesity.
San Francisco introduced a law in 2010 that required fast food restaurants to have meals at 600 calories or less and 640 milligrams of sodium or less before it could offer a promotional toy.
"As a family business, we're aware of what the government is doing" so the company is paying close attention, said Nicola Pitman, director of menu management at McDonald's Canada. According to Reuters, the changes are in an effort to make all Happy Meals 600 calories or less with 10 percent of calories coming from saturated fat, 650 mg of sodium, and 10 percent of calories from added sugar. That is what happened when the company took soda off the official menu option for Happy Meals.
McDonald's notes that it will also start offering bottled water later this year as a featured drink for Happy Meals.
With 20 grams of protein, 10 grams of fat, and only 270 calories, the Grilled Chicken Wrap is the healthiest entrée on Wendy's kids' menu.
Kenneth Wong, marketing professor at the Smith's School of Business at Queen's University, said it's not a coincidence that McDonald's is sprucing up the Happy Meal image now.
Every year Canadians come together to celebrate McHappy Day, which over many years has raised over $67 million for RMHC, Ronald McDonald Houses and local children's charities across the country.
- New iOS update lets users stop Apple from slowing down phones
- Israeli Opposition Hails 'End of Netanyahu', PM's Party Suspects 'Coup'
- Cryptocurrency hack: Croydon Council website one of more than 4000 affected
- Vern Buchanan's Son Loses 'Trump Country' Florida House Race
- 'Remarkable': Dying US woman's last words were to identify her 'killers'
- Minnie Driver Quits Oxfam Ambassador Role After Prostitution Scandal
- Black Panther: Marvel Studios Wants Ryan Coogler Back For Sequel
- Four differences between Wenger and 'hard' Jose — Mkhitaryan
- Kim Cattrall slams "cruel" Sarah Jessica Parker after her brother's death
- Redmi Note 5 first impression: A value for money option