Federal Bureau of Investigation says it missed tips on Florida school shooter 5 weeks ago

Sunday, 18 Feb, 2018

He said it's now clear that the nation's premier law enforcement agency missed warning signs.

The FBI said today proper protocol was not followed in following up on a tip about Cruz.

Rick Scott has called for the resignation of the Federal Bureau of Investigation director after it was revealed Friday that the agency received a tip last month that the suspect in this week's high school massacre could be planning an attack, but failed to investigate.

The FBI said the information from the caller "should have been assessed as a potential threat to life" and forwarded to the agency's Miami field office.

The Miami Herald obtained records from Florida's Department of Children and Families and reported Saturday that Nikolas Cruz posted a video on the social media network Snapchat showing him cutting his arms in 2016.

"We have spoken with victims and families", Wray said, "and deeply regret the additional pain this causes all those affected by this horrific tragedy".

Wray later released a statement indicating that the mishap is being investigated. The student who made the concerning posts did not go to school on Friday and a police investigation revealed there was no threat, O'Brien said.

Wray said he was "committed to getting to the bottom of what happened", and Attorney General Jeff Sessions ordered an immediate review to ensure "effective response to indications of potential violence".

These reports add pivotal details to accounts by neighbors, who told CNN that Cruz grew up in a home that received frequent visits from law enforcement.

Rick Scott, a 65-year old grandfather who has received an A+ rating from the NRA, offered his "thoughts and prayers" to the students and their families.

The Broward sheriff's office, in the Florida county where the deadly Parkland shooting took place, said late Thursday that "variations of the post have continued to be circulated over social media with captions added to warn people not to go to various schools throughout South Florida".

The FBI apologized on Friday for failing to act on a tip they received about Cruz in January.

Nikolas Cruz has been charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder.

According to news reports in The Post and other outlets, Cruz, 19, had been repeatedly suspended and then expelled from the high school for disciplinary problems.

Therapists say it's really important to not dismiss what your kids are saying, but to really listen and be supportive.

"It comes down to one simple question: Does he live or does he die?"

Wednesday's shooting ranks as the greatest loss of life from school gun violence since the 2012 shooting rampage at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, that left 20 first-graders and six adult educators dead.

As evidence, they've cited the former deputy director's connection to Clinton allies, and they've publicized anti-Trump text messages exchanged between an FBI agent and a bureau lawyer.

On a day when the funerals of the shooting victims began here, more than a dozen schools from MA to Iowa to MI were shut down in response to copycat threats.

Republican House Speaker Paul Ryan said it was not a time for arguing over gun control, while Republican Florida Senator Marco Rubio said new gun laws alone would not stop shootings.

Authorities have not described any specific motive, except to say that Cruz had been kicked out of the high school, which has about 3,000 students and serves an affluent suburb where the median home price is almost $600,000.

The FBI has acknowledged receiving two tips that appear to relate to Cruz ahead of the shooting.