According to the four-time Major victor McIlroy however, such attention was a crucial factor in Woods missing the cut for the weekend's action. It will be the first time Woods has played tournaments in consecutive weeks since 2015.
This is the second time in his 47 PGA Tour career starts that Cantlay has led or share the lead through two rounds.
Not only is the golf course spectacular, but the field is amongst the best you will find on tour.
Cantlay, a Southern California native who shared the first-round lead with Tony Finau, kept the pedal down despite tricky early conditions on the classic course west of downtown Los Angeles.
"I missed every tee shot left and I did not putt well, didn't feel very good on the greens and consequently never made a run", Woods told reporters following an eight-bogey day on which his entire game was out of sync.
"I think everyone has to be patient with him, especially him being patient with it and just give himself time", McIlroy said.
"No one's going low out there", Woods said.
"Today was the first day I felt bad with a putter this year". His closest pursuer, Cantlay, is just one stroke back after closing with a 54-foot birdie putt on the 18th hole. "I've got the weekend off, some more days to work on it". But the coolest part is the same thing there's so many people and it's a Thursday morning playing with two really good friends and people that I look up to and people that I've tried to model my game after for so long.
"Everyone's out here to see Tiger, but I'm definitely the third player in the group", Thomas said. "That's been nice, something I haven't done in years".
Missing the cut at Riviera will offer him extra time to recover from soreness and to prepare for the Honda Classic, which is near his current residence in South Florida.
World number one and defending champion Dustin Johnson teed off in the afternoon and was four-over through six holes. "I need a couple Advil just to - I've got a headache after all that".
- Vern Buchanan's Son Loses 'Trump Country' Florida House Race
- Business booms for local florists on Valentine's Day
- Australia bans government ministers from having sex with staff
- Flyers' Gostisbehere reflects on deadly shooting at his Florida high school
- Zainab's killer handed four death sentences
- Jake Arrieta Rumors: Nationals to Target SP After Cubs Sign Yu Darvish
- Hazard double eases pressure on Chelsea's Conte
- SpaceX plan for Broadband via Satellite is backed by FCC
- Four differences between Wenger and 'hard' Jose — Mkhitaryan
- Colten Boushie's family meets federal minister in wake of Stanley acquittal