The film, released Friday, comes during national Black History Month, and made $201.8 million in its opening weekend.
Starting today, fans can meet Wakanda's T'Challa, aka Black Panther, in the Hollywood Land Backlot in Disney California Adventure. There is also a nationwide push to help students see it. Tre Singleton, founder of the Urban Mentoring Academy of Savannah, is excited to partner with the Frank Callen Boys and Girls Club to take local kids to see the movie. But the movie has given birth to an unusual movement - whites claiming they have been attacked by blacks while attempting to see the film.
"This movie is important to the African American community because it is empowering", Ojebuoboh wrote. Although Black Panther is not one of the characters featured in Universal Orlando's Marvel Super Hero Island, his traditional association with The Avengers character family might leave him off limits to Disney's use in Florida, due to Marvel's perpetual contract with Universal in that market. It makes for better, richer storytelling, and we're a business. Both Nakia and Ayo voyage out with their king in the quest to bring Klaw back to stand trial. You work harder than you show, and you give us a window into your lovely soul.
"The surest route of success of African-American and African children is through education but in the story line of 'Black Panther, ' there is no scene in the school anywhere", said Agozino.
Rian Johnson's "Star Wars: The Last Jedi", which has grossed $1.3 billion worldwide, did more than any previous "Star Wars" film to elevate its female characters, and featured the widely hailed breakout star Kelly Marie Tran. It broke the record for Thursday previews in February, and was the second highest grossing for a Marvel film.
One of those "kids of all ages" was Mildred Johnson, 73, who was sitting in front of a huge "Black Panther" display ahead of her noon showtime. Imax reported $30 million in ticket sales for the three-day weekend.
Chris Evans' statement, along with DC's Wonder Woman impressing audiences around the world, has proven that Marvel is long overdue for a movie starring action heroine Natasha Romanoff.
"If you look at some of the bigger blockbusters from the past year, they were representative of what the audience are looking for, how they're feeling", said Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst for comScore.
"Black Panther" cast hopes combination of African pride, beauty and kick-ass adventure will also mark a cultural shift in the movie industry and beyond.
- Struggling Tiger Woods misses cut at Genesis Open
- Graeme McDowell joint-leader in California as Tiger Woods misses cut
- Adam Rippon to Serve as NBC Correspondent After 2018 Olympics Debut
- Justice Department Indicts 13 Russians for Supporting Trump, Interfering with US Elections
- Jazz Rookie Mitchell Wins Dunk Contest
- Oh my quad! United States skater Chen makes history with six quads
- Federal Bureau of Investigation says it missed tips on Florida school shooter 5 weeks ago
- Netanyahu Warns Israel Could Attack Iran if Tehran's Aggression Continues Unchecked
- Zainab's killer handed four death sentences
- Ten-man Man City sunk by third-tier Wigan in Cup shock