With three games in hand on the leaders Blackburn, Paul Cook's side are now third and boast the tightest defence in the whole division.
City are one of the best sides in Europe this season so how does the current version compare to Roberto Mancini's from five years ago?
Wigan's only comment on the matter came from manager Cook, who said of the pitch invasion: "It's not correct, but I haven't seen these incidents so I'd rather not give an opinion, but players' safety is paramount for everyone".
"I think the main story is Wigan beating Man City, who were on for the quadruple". Wigan also beat City in the FA Cup quarterfinals in 2015, the last time they met in this competition.
Fabian Delph was sent off at the end of the first half for a rash tackle on Max Taylor.
There was also criticism of the ugly scenes that followed the final whistle, when some fans invaded the pitch and Sergio Aguero was involved in an altercation.
Pep Guardiola's City face Arsene Wenger's Gunners in Sunday's Wembley showpiece, trying to win the first trophy of the Guardiola era, with Premier League glory looking certain barring a unforeseen disaster.
Delph's challenge on Power sparked huge debate on and off the field after referee Anthony Taylor surprisingly switched from a yellow card to a straight red, despite the match official making a note of Delph's name and number on his cautionary card to begin with.
"Red card. It was the decision", he said.
"I judge my players on intentions and not results and the intentions were good".
And Guardiola said: "Claudio is going to play".
They started with their Argentine top scorer Sergio Aguero, and had Belgian midfielder Kevin De Bruyne waiting on the bench.
- Mourinho on Pogba relationship: "Don't say bull****"
- Rochdale earn last-gasp draw with Tottenham
- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani visits India, meets Narendra Modi
- Australia bans government ministers from having sex with staff
- Who Is Karen McDougal? Trump Accused of New Affair With Playboy Playmate
- Will Prince William's wife Kate Middleton wear black at Baftas?
- Mitt Romney to announce Senate run in Utah
- Justice Department Indicts 13 Russians for Supporting Trump, Interfering with US Elections
- Curling: Canada tumble into 0-3 hole with loss to Denmark
- Jazz Rookie Mitchell Wins Dunk Contest