Peter Wang, 15, was a JROTC cadet.
Brave JROTC cadet and Brooklyn native Peter Wang, who died holding the door open so his classmates could escape the Parkland shooter, was given a hero's send-off Tuesday - as his grieving mom called out for her baby to lead her out of her waking "nightmare".
A petition posted to the White House's "We the People" site is calling for a military burial with full honors for a student killed during last week's massacre at a Florida High school.
A spokesman for the U.S. Army told Fox News on Tuesday that Cadet Command approved Junior ROTC Heroism Medals for cadets Alaina Petty, Peter Wang, and Martin Duque.
Wang reportedly held a door open for his fellow students to get out of the school ahead of him. A petition posted to WhiteHouse.gov urged the US military to give Wang a full military funeral with honors.
Speaking of Wang, his classmate Kelsey Friend told CNN: "He was one of my closest friends".
"I want people to know he died a hero". Military members on the r/military forum on Reddit organized an effort to attend Wang's funeral in uniform to show their respects, as well as sending military patches and challenge coins to Wang's family.
"The JROTC Heroism medal will be on his uniform, but a second "keepsake" medal" will be given to the Wang family, Maddox said.
While Petty received her Heroism Medal during her funeral Monday, Duque will be awarded his medal at his Saturday service.
"The NRA donated $10,000 to help train the Parkland shooting suspect to use a rifle", Think Progress reports. He always liked to cheer people up. At least a dozen others were injured after a 19-year-old former student allegedly attacked the school.
Wang was posthumously admitted to the United States Military Academy at West Point Class of 2025, according to theSun-Sentinel. "He is like the big brother everyone wished they had", said Lin Chen.
He is survived by his parents and two younger brothers.
Peter was not the only JROTC cadet credited with springing into action that day.
Schendtrup's casket, draped in a white cloth, sat before the altar as Sims acknowledged the pain her death caused for her family and friends.
- Will Prince William's wife Kate Middleton wear black at Baftas?
- Eden Hazard Confirms Interest From Real Madrid, Paris Saint-Germain
- Ten-man Man City sunk by third-tier Wigan in Cup shock
- 'Black Panther' is a Timely Movement for Diversity, Representation
- Olympic Women's Hockey Gold Medal Game: USA vs. Canada
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Centre rebuffs snubbing Canadian PM Trudeau
- Florida school shooting: Trump slams Federal Bureau of Investigation over attack
- Jennifer Aniston Shuts Down Brad Pitt Rumours Following Split With Justin Theroux
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest