AT&T says its mobile 5G service will launch first in parts of Dallas and Waco in Texas and in Atlanta, Georgia alongside additional cities to be announced in the coming months. The company did not specify the neighborhoods where the network will be available. Last November, Verizon announced that it would deploy 5G residential broadband in Sacramento and other markets this year.
A company announcement Tuesday said the three cities are among the first 12 that will have the capability by the end of the year. Dallas is the telecom's hometown. One of those trials was at Magnolia in Waco. The experts say the next generation 5G network technology is about 10 times faster than 4G. "It has to do with how we think about the infrastructure", said Igal Elbaz, AT&T's senior vice president of wireless network architecture and design, to Mashable.
"It's always the chicken or egg", he said.
The future of cell phone service is upon us.
5G will bring faster speeds for customers and help support an explosion of connected devices, from medical equipment to smart thermostats. Today, they delivered more. AT&T is also planning to add more 5G capable mobile devices and smartphones in early 2019 and beyond. Millimeter-wave spectrum only works in nearby, mostly line-of-sight applications, which means you'll have to be standing close to a 5G access point to get a signal.
Just how fast will 5G go?
According to everything we've heard, 2018 will be the year that 5G stops being a distantly-whispered myth and starts becoming reality.
The initial 5G deployments by AT&T will be based on 3GPP standards and will operate over mmWave spectrum.
- Here's why you might not be seeing Jennifer Lawrence for a while
- Centre rebuffs snubbing Canadian PM Trudeau
- The Qualcomm M&A plot thickens with increased NXP bid
- 'Black Panther' is a Timely Movement for Diversity, Representation
- TUrkey Denies Use of Chemicals in Syria's Afrin, Says Allegations Baseless
- Albertsons Companies merges with portion of Rite Aid
- Google Pay being rolled out to replace Android Pay and Google Wallet
- NASCAR honors Danica Patrick as a trailblazer after her final race
- AB de Villiers ruled out of T20I series against India
- Jennifer Aniston Shuts Down Brad Pitt Rumours Following Split With Justin Theroux