The event takes place March 3 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas and airs live on pay-per-view following prelims on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass. Two weeks ago, Edgar agreed to face unbeaten Brian Ortega in the co-main event at UFC 222, with the victor expected to face Holloway.
But lightweight champion Conor McGregor claims he tried to do the same. This guy doesn't want to fight.
"Just the situation that came about last week where [Rafael dos Anjos] got hurt, I missed that opportunity because I'm banged up myself". "That's something people have been talking about for a long time and he's got the ability to make that fight very interesting because of his wrestling ability". That night, the Dubliner stopped Eddie Alvarez in the second round and became the UFC Lightweight Champion and the first fighter in the history of the organisation to hold two world titles simultaneously. "Frankie could be 50 years old and beat the shit out of him and the whole entire nation of Ireland". He's full of s--. Holloway's rep didn't immediately respond to a request for comment, and MMAjunkie was unable to immediately reach the UFC. "It's not for the interim title, that fight (Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Tony Ferguson) is for the title", White told TMZ Sports.
So there's that. In the meantime, the debate over whether or not McGregor should be stripped of his title rages on. "It was August and then September [that he was going to return]".
"I say it all the time, with that kinda money, Conor might never come back".
Although McGregor now reigns as the 155-pound champion of the world, a fight between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson is scheduled to go down this April to crown a new champion.
Dana White added: "Conor understands".
- The Qualcomm M&A plot thickens with increased NXP bid
- AT&T names three cities for 5G deployment
- Marvel president "absolutely" wants to see a Black Panther sequel
- Jaspal Atwal says unfair to raise decades-old 'criminal' conviction'
- AB de Villiers ruled out of T20I series against India
- Oxfam hit by new misconduct claims
- Google Pay being rolled out to replace Android Pay and Google Wallet
- New strikes kill 10 in rebel-held suburbs of Syrian capital
- NRA chief executive Wayne LaPierre says anti-gun lobby 'hate freedom'
- NASCAR honors Danica Patrick as a trailblazer after her final race