Amid vibrant bursts of color, a troupe of dhol players - a traditional wooden drum played in South Asia - dance around and splash each other with water and powder colored red, yellow, blue and green.
The colours are not chosen at random, but have symbolic meaning. Each of the colored powders that are thrown during the celebration have a symbolic meaning-red represents fertility, green represents new beginnings and so on.
It is said about this festival of colours that people forget every anger and enjoy the day with gulal and colors.
From then on, the festival also known as Holi is celebrated by smearing colours with enjoyment.
The festival dates back to a 4th century Puranas poem and is even described in a 7th century Sanskrit play that was written by an Indian emperor Harsha.
Though it is an ancient Hindu festival, it has become popular with non-Hindus in South Asia, Europe and North America, among other places.
As a result of the bonfire's inclusion in the folklore, many Holi rituals still include bonfires in them.
The festival is mostly popular with the young and children, who begin the colorful celebrations several days ahead of the main festival. When the entire country is immersed in the Holi celebrations, how can the Bachchan clan be left behind? With everyone indulged in intoxicating drinks and mouthwatering delicacies, lets also take out time to celebrate humanity.
In the evening, after a day of fun, revellers bathe, don clean clothes and visit their friends and family.
Holi which marks the end of winters and emergence of the spring, sees the year coming full circle. This year, Holi falls on March 2. "The festival brings us close to each other and helps us to cheer-up".
What are the mythical roots of Holi? Prahlad was saved by Vishnu and it was Holika who died as she was only immune to fire if she was alone. Holika would survive because she had an enchanted shawl that would protect her from the flames.
- Airline stocks surge after Warren Buffett says he's open to buying one
- Apple will reportedly release over-ear headphones this year
- Here's a Closer Look at Travis Scott and Kylie Jenner's Daughter Stormi
- Wales Women thwarted by Ireland
- Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus takes best camera crown from Google Pixel 2
- United Nations rights council to hold urgent session on Syria's Eastern Ghouta
- Struggling Maplin and Toys R Us collapse into administration
- Saudi Arabia: Royal Decrees Reshuffle Government, Military Positions
- Exit polls predict BJP win in Tripura elections, Left rout
- The Bachelor recap: Everyone says 'I love you'