Everybody initially thought 222 was going to be a mess as Holloway pulled out due to an injury.
If I could paint a picture my career it would be, me fighting Edgar, beating Edgar, winning the 145-pound belt and if Khabib is the 155 champion, I think it would be a dream matchup. The tides began to turn as Edgar was showing signs of frustration while Ortega was keeping him at range and landing his own combinations. It was the first time the former-lightweight champ Edgar had ever been finished in pro-MMA.
Edgar continued to push the pace, throwing low leg kicks coupled with lightning fast punches, all the while Ortega was using his height and reach advantage to keep the distance.
Dern may be making her UFC debut, but she's one of the most accomplished jiu-jitsu practitioners in the world and is carrying some serious hype with her into the octagon.
As the round wore on, it became clear that Ortega was trying to time Edgar.
That win made him a top contender and got him a lucrative new contract with the UFC, yet he still drives his 1998 Chevy Blazer to Harbor City to train in the one-car garage of his longtime striking coach, James Luhrsen. Arlovski earned a decision over Stefan Struve treading slowly towards other main fights in the heavyweight division.
When it all came down to it, the likes of McGregor and Holloway were in unison when they acknowledged Edgar's integrity and undying will to fight.
"I just saw him", White said. Despite a title fight opportunity once again falling through, Edgar opted to remain on the card. Cyborg at the post-press said that she wanted Amanda Nunes next and said this is the fight that has to be made. "The fight to make is her and Nunes".
Cris Cyborg (19-1) has been flawless since losing her first mma fight by kneebar. Cyborg (20-1) hasn't lost a fight in the past 13 years. The Ortega, Holloway headliner and the Nunes-Cyborg super fight are going to be pretty great.
"I feel like I've been through so much that 15, 25 minutes of my life (in the cage) is not going to faze me", Ortega said.
- Swansea continue revival with win over West Ham
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Italy's election day: Eurosceptics, nativists & Berlusconi look to replace socialist coalition
- CMU shooting: Shooting suspect in custody after 15-hour manhunt, university says
- Roger Bannister, First to Break the 4-Minute Mile, Dead at 88
- Most active Western Conference teams this offseason
- Defoe strengthens Euros case
- Turkish soldiers killed in Syria's Afrin
- FC Barcelona vs Atletico Madrid FREE
- US Northeast still facing flooding, outages after killer storm