Black Panther has had some school breaks, but played in a more standard time of year when box office sales are historically slower. With how it's holding, Black Panther should become just the seventh film in history to break $600 million at the USA box office. It took just 17 days for Black Panther to cross the $500M domestic box office threshold, the third fastest ever to reach that mark, behind Star Wars: The Last Jedi (16 days) and Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
The worldwide smash hit brought in $65.7 million during its third weekend and became only the third film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe along with Captain America: The Winter Soldier and The Avengers to be number one for its first three weeks of release.
It is no coincidence that "Black Panther" debuted in Black History Month or that Gil-Scott Heron's famous lyric "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised" (a song that promotes black awareness) was used in the official trailer.
It has now grossed a total of $501.1 million in North America alone.
"Black Panther" will continue to write a place in the record books as each week in release passes. Joel Edgerton, Matthias Schoenaerts, Jeremy Irons, Mary-Louise Parker and Charlotte Rampling co-star in the film, which reportedly cost a net $69 million to produce.
Bruce Willis saw a decent start for his new action offering Death Wish which bowed to an estimated $13M from 2,847 theaters for a $4,575 average. Both ways, aforementioned awards Walt Disney 15 of the top 30 domestic earners of all time, with 12 of those being in just the last six years.
Coming in at No. 2 is "Red Sparrow" with $17 million, followed by "Death Wish" at No. 3 with $13 million, "Game Night" at No. 4 with $10.7 million and "Peter Rabbit" at No. 5 with $10 million. But none of these prestige-minded movies was widely embraced by mainstream ticket buyers - as when the 2011 best picture nominee "Black Swan" collected about $120 million, after adjusting for inflation; or Spielberg's "Lincoln" reached almost $200 million in 2013.
- Swansea continue revival with win over West Ham
- Austin DACA recipients push for permanent protections
- Deployment of the Hispasat 30W-6 satellite from the Falcon 9 rocket
- Democratic early voting surged across Texas in 2018 Primary
- Merkel can finally get to work after SPD agrees to coalition
- Korea denies Syria chemical weapons claim
- Italy's election day: Eurosceptics, nativists & Berlusconi look to replace socialist coalition
- Donald Trump trade tariffs: Europe threatens USA bikes, bourbon, Levi's jeans
- First Look At Final Season Of House Of Cards Without Kevin Spacey
- UFC 222 notes: Edgar-Ortega fight has old-school feel