Amazon confirmed on Wednesday that in rare circumstances, the voice assistant can mistakenly hear the phrase "Alexa, laugh", which under its normal programming would trigger it to chuckle. An Amazon spokesperson told the Verge, "We're aware of this and working to fix it".
Customers have been reporting on Twitter and Reddit that their Amazon Echo devices have suddenly been starting to laugh and the company has been trying to stop this from happening.
I'm pretty sure I've heard that laugh in Ghost Adventures when they are able to record that voice. "So my mom & I are just sitting in the living room, neither of us said a word & our Alexa lit up and laughed for no reason", tweeted one woman. "After the third request, Alexa stopped responding and instead did an evil laugh".
Image Some users have called the laugh ‘really creepy
Some Alexa users have reported hearing an unprompted laugh from their smart speaker devices in the last day. Alexa replied, "What do you mean?" The company has not said what may be causing the issue.
Amazon denied the claims and said the Echo was most certainly not listing the names of cemeteries as part of a plan to murder its owners. Creepy much? To eliminate false responses (and obnoxious laughing keeping you up at night) Amazon has changed the phrase required to make Alexa laugh to "Alexa, can you laugh". The latest of such occurrences is the unusual, laughing Alexa.
"Every time Alexa laughs, an angel dies", entrepreneur and innovator Elon Musk joked in a Twitter exchange on the development. Alexa is Amazon's digital, personal assistant.
- Klopp targets more after Liverpool end long wait for last eight
- Russian Military Says Syrian Rebels Can Leave Ghouta
- Tiffany Haddish Resurrected That Alexander McQueen Dress for the Oscars
- National emergency in Sri Lanka hours before India start T20 tri-series
- Deployment of the Hispasat 30W-6 satellite from the Falcon 9 rocket
- Serena returns with slam record firmly in sights
- Austin DACA recipients push for permanent protections
- Won't comply with Mueller subpoena: Former Trump campaign aide
- Trump escalates trade war rhetoric with threat of European auto tariffs
- Childlike laughter reported coming from Amazon speakers