Lenin's statue was brought down at Belonia town, headquarters of South Tripura district days after the BJP's victory in the assembly elections in Tripura where a 25-year-long communist government was ousted.
Raja in his deleted post had said: "Who is Lenin and what is the connection between Lenin and India?" What connection has India with Communists? BJP's supporters recently brought down a statue of Lenin in Tripura creating much uproar. Lenin's statues were installed in Tripura for the sake of power. Raja has since removed the Facebook post and said it was published without his permission. States were asked to deal firmly with the people indulging in such acts of vandalism by booking them under the relevant provisions of law.
Apart from Modi, a host of Central ministers and leaders and Chief Ministers of several Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) ruled states would attend the swearing-in-ceremony of Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb and his Council of Ministers. Police stopped them before they reached Periyar statue.
In a strongly worded message, the prime minister condemned the incidents of statue vandalism. "One man is a BJP member and another a CPI worker, both drunk", the police reportedly said. The incident came to light hours after the Home Ministry sent an advisory to all states and Union territories to take strong action against anyone involved in the destruction of statues. "The hearts of Tamil Nadu people are wounded and the hearts of people adoring Periyar are broken", (by Raja's comment), the party said.
Mr. Vaiko slammed Makkal Needhi Maiam leader and actor Kamal Haasan's statement calling for removal of all statues.
"But Raja has apologised for his actions and I personally feel that we do not have to blow this issue any further", he said.
According to police sources here, some miscreants damaged a portion of the statue at Mawana Khurd village late on Tuesday night. "These incidents can never be justified", Rajnath told reporters outside Parliament.
BJP State president Tamilisai Soundararajan today said only her opinion should be considered as the official statement of the party in Tamilnadu. Periyar was a politician as well as a social activist who is popular for initiating the Self-Respect Movement. The DMK workers tried to snatch it from police.
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Terrorist, 3 others killed in army firing at Shopian
- KU center Udoka Azubuike to miss Big 12 Tournament with injury
- Russian Military Says Syrian Rebels Can Leave Ghouta
- Childlike laughter reported coming from Amazon speakers
- Kellyanne Conway Violated The Hatch Act Twice, Special Counsel Report Says
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Barbie debuts new 'Inspiring Women'/'Shero' dolls
- Trump escalates trade war rhetoric with threat of European auto tariffs