On this day, we commemorate the social, cultural, economic, and political achievements of women, however, we also remember that we, as women, have a long way to go until we achieve gender equality.
Comedian Richard Herring has raised more than £80,000 for domestic violence support charity Refuge as part of an International Women's Day campaign.
"What is the point of signing the Convention, but not incorporating it into Malaysian law to protect women?" she said.
International Women's Day is a time to reflect on the progress made, to call for change and to celebrate acts of courage and determination by ordinary women who have played an extraordinary role in the history of our communities and countries.
President Donald Trump's daughter and senior advisor, Ivanka Trump, also tried (and failed miserably) to mark the day as she shared a message on Twitter.
Speaking at the event, Women in ETFs Australia liaison Daphne Van der Oord remarked on the rising number of stock exchanges around the world that were holding such bell-ringing ceremonies for the cause.
Speakers said society is at a tipping point and encouraged women to empower each other.
We all need to commit to and practise having modern attitudes about gender equality and women's rights.
Journalists including the corporation's chief global correspondent Lyse Doucet and Woman's Hour presenter Jane Garvey stood holding sheets of paper displaying equal signs as they chanted "Equal pay for equal work".
"The whole objective is to make women and girls feel good about who they are".
According to Onyema, the Exchange took steps to address the lack of female representation on our National Council by electing three eminent female members at the last AGM.
This year's International Women's Day was marked with rallies across the world as women came out in huge numbers to stand in solidarity with each other and to simply celebrate the power of being a woman.
"We are not waiting to be saved, we are saving ourselves despite all odds".
All over the world, women have rallied for their rights this March 8.
- Crown Prince's vision for Saudi Arabia matters to us too
- Russian Military Says Syrian Rebels Can Leave Ghouta
- Saudi crown prince meets with British MPs
- Xiaomi to launch Redmi 5 on March 14
- 'Concrete steps' to nixing nukes needed before North Korea talks: White House
- England blasts 335-9 in 4th ODI vs New Zealand
- US' Tillerson says African countries should weigh Chinese loans carefully
- Black Panther 2 Confirmed By Marvel Studios' Kevin Feige
- Manchester City Lose Match They Were Not Taking At All Seriously
- Celebrate Mario Day with half price Super Mario Run