On this day, we commemorate the social, cultural, economic, and political achievements of women, however, we also remember that we, as women, have a long way to go until we achieve gender equality.
Comedian Richard Herring has raised more than £80,000 for domestic violence support charity Refuge as part of an International Women's Day campaign.
"What is the point of signing the Convention, but not incorporating it into Malaysian law to protect women?" she said.
International Women's Day is a time to reflect on the progress made, to call for change and to celebrate acts of courage and determination by ordinary women who have played an extraordinary role in the history of our communities and countries.
President Donald Trump's daughter and senior advisor, Ivanka Trump, also tried (and failed miserably) to mark the day as she shared a message on Twitter.
Speaking at the event, Women in ETFs Australia liaison Daphne Van der Oord remarked on the rising number of stock exchanges around the world that were holding such bell-ringing ceremonies for the cause.
Speakers said society is at a tipping point and encouraged women to empower each other.
We all need to commit to and practise having modern attitudes about gender equality and women's rights.
Journalists including the corporation's chief global correspondent Lyse Doucet and Woman's Hour presenter Jane Garvey stood holding sheets of paper displaying equal signs as they chanted "Equal pay for equal work".
"The whole objective is to make women and girls feel good about who they are".
According to Onyema, the Exchange took steps to address the lack of female representation on our National Council by electing three eminent female members at the last AGM.
This year's International Women's Day was marked with rallies across the world as women came out in huge numbers to stand in solidarity with each other and to simply celebrate the power of being a woman.
"We are not waiting to be saved, we are saving ourselves despite all odds".
All over the world, women have rallied for their rights this March 8.
- Xiaomi to launch Redmi 5 on March 14
- Possibility of North Korea détente stirs diplomatic angst in Japan
- England blasts 335-9 in 4th ODI vs New Zealand
- New privacy settings coming to Windows 10 get previewed
- Celebrate Mario Day with half price Super Mario Run
- Canada, Mexico, Others Could Be Spared From US Tariffs on Metals
- KU center Udoka Azubuike to miss Big 12 Tournament with injury
- Periyar statue vandalised in Vellore, TN on boil following protests, Raja apologises
- Cigna pays over the odds for uncertain benefit
- Champions League: Juventus secures Qualification as Spurs bottles again