Brees, who turned 39 in January, was due to become a free agent on Wednesday. Brees has recorded five 5,000-yard passing season, by far the most in National Football League history, and has thrown for at least 30 touchdowns in nine of the last 10 seasons.
Brees has thrown for 70,445 yards with 488 touchdown passes and 228 interceptions in 248 career contests since being made a second-round selection in the 2001 NFL Draft by the then-San Diego Chargers. He'd likely have an advocate in the Sheriff, and perhaps the Broncos are planning a sneak attack on Brees no one sees coming. The 11-time Pro Bowler led the Saints to victory in Super Bowl XLIV, a championship loaded with symbolism as New Orleans recovered from the devastation wrought by Hurricane Katrina five years earlier.
La Canfora reports the deal is a two-year, $50 million pact that will keep Brees in New Orleans, as was always expected. But if they some how manage to finagle Brees away from New Orleans - pulling off yet another Minneapolis Miracle at the Saints' expense - Minnesota would have to be considered the team to beat. Brees, on the other hand, is capable of elevating the players around him. In 2011, Brees was at the helm of an offense that gained an NFL-record 7,474 yards.
The NFL offseason is an interesting time. Brett Favre also is ahead of Brees - for now - with 71, 838 yards and 508 TDs passing.
A pillar of the New Orleans Saints has chose to walk away. But I expect him to cut the Saints a break on the length, with only about one year fully guaranteed. Brees' situation is becoming more fluid. The Saints are going to be Super Bowl contenders next year. Or does it unite you and make you stronger and mold you and strengthen you?
- Will the Fitbit Versa make you trade in your Apple Watch?
- NCAA Men's Basketball Selection Show Details
- France win over United Kingdom hands Ireland title
- Vikings closing in on Kirk Cousins: Quarterback visiting Minnesota
- Dolphins Plan To Release Ndamukong Suh
- Syrian state media says rebels shell Ghouta crossing point
- Jay-Z, Beyonce tour will stop August 5 at Gillette in Foxboro
- New Florida gun control law sparks NRA lawsuit
- Villanova wins Big East championship, sets sights on another national title
- Stormy Daniels offers to give back money to break silence on Trump