The company had to divert hundreds of millions of dollars to servicing its debt that could have gone to improving its stores, which many consider have become drab. The company laid off 67 people at its headquarters Wednesday.
"It would be a tough market for those folks to go into with their specific skills", said Andy Challenger, a vice president at Challenger Grey.
The toy company, which has 11 stores in Scotland, will start the redundancy process on Wednesday.
-2007: Toys R Us buys well-known NY toy store FAO Schwarz.
According to the Wall Street Journal, Toys "R" Us Inc. plans to try and sell its operations in Canada, Central Europe and Asia.
Toys R Us is set to shut down all of its United Kingdom stores after failing to find a buyer, with the retailer now shutting down in the region indefinitely.
The company had already been working with liquidators Tiger Capital Group LLC, Great American Group LLC, Hilco Merchant Resources LLC and Gordon Brothers Retail Partners LLC on previously announced store closures, and the four are expected to continue with the additional closings, sources said.
"It is with great regret that we have made the hard decision to make a number of positions redundant at the company's head office in Maidenhead and proceed with a controlled store closure program", he commented. Sales during the recent holiday period, which the company has yet to report, are believed to have been very bad.
- Spring Statement 2018: OBR revises up GDP; Inflation to fall to 2%
- Will the Fitbit Versa make you trade in your Apple Watch?
- Dolphins Plan To Release Ndamukong Suh
- Rex Tillerson reportedly discovered he was fired from Trump's Tweet
- Drew Brees: Deal puts Saints in "best position to succeed"
- Hillary: America Doesn't Deserve Trump as President
- Historic Break: Donald Trump Agrees To Meet Kim Jong-un by May
- New Florida gun control law sparks NRA lawsuit
- Which Denver-area counties are the healthiest?
- Two with Texas ties among the dead in NYC helicopter crash