The amount of snow expected has prompted Channel 3 to name this storm Winter Storm Genny (pronounced Jean-ie).
Other parts of the state are expected to experience cooler conditions Tuesday with rain. Anyone planning to travel Tuesday night and early Wednesday should prepare for a tough go of it. "Snowfall accumulations at this time are with very low confidence", Varian added. The models lost it for a while, sending it far offshore to produce nothing more than clouds.
In fact, the forecast through next Sunday is for temperatures to not get above 45 degrees on any one day. So, no ruling out a big snowstorm. Now, it's time to track the possibility of another significant East Coast storm between Tuesday and Wednesday night.
According to the National Weather Service, snow may arrive after 2 a.m.
The system is still far enough out that models are still highly uncertain of the exact location of the storm, Varian said. The bigger effects at the shore are going to be the strong winds throughout the day on Tuesday that could gust to 40 to 45 miles per hour. High near 36. Breezy, with a northeast wind 18 to 24 miles per hour. And a howling northeast wind. Chance of precipitation is 80 percent. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
"Rain and sleet mixing in with the wet snow could cut down on snowfall accumulations on Tuesday", the NWS says. Cloudy, with a low around 31.
The low appears likely to stay offshore and avoid hitting the major Northeast cities with much snow. Northeast wind 15 to 17 miles per hour.
Between I-80 and Route 224: This area could see anywhere from an inch to 3 inches of snow.
Thursday: Sunny, with a high near 44.
In Newton, last Friday saw 11 hours, 59 minutes, 57 seconds between sunrise and sunset.
Now it appears that rain and snow will remain the story most if not all of this next week.
Saturday night: A chance of rain and snow.
- No-confidence motion not taken up; LS washed out for 10th day
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Syracuse looks to take down No. 3 seed Michigan St.
- North Carolina basketball locker room robbed during ACC tournament
- US police suspect 'serial bomber' in deadly Austin attacks
- Warriors' Kevin Durant out at least 2 weeks with fractured rib
- Whistleblower Christopher Wylie says his Facebook has been suspended
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War
- Black Panther continues reign over North American box office
- Top Democratic lawmaker dies after fall at home