The Australians also triumphed in the women's team pursuit and women's team sprint - each time over New Zealand - to carry home three of the four golds up for grabs on the first day of cycling action on the track.
In lawn bowls, Jo Edwards has emerged from a hard first game in her women's singles gold medal defence. "I am happy I took up weightlifting", he laughed.
Abdul Wahid Omar, Ghana's flag bearer at the 2018 Commonwealth Games now ongoing in Australia has crashed out of the 60-kilogramme men's Light boxing competition after losing by unanimous decision to Australia's Harry Garside.
Aimee Willmott set the tone for what proved to be a golden evening for the English squad as she banished her Glasgow 2014 demons by topping the podium in the women's 400m individual medley.
Chanu smashed the CWG record with every lift and even broke her personal record and remained in a league of her own. Scotland's Neil Fachie won the men's equivalent.
The men's team blanked Trinidad and Tobago 3-0 before beating Northern Ireland by a similar margin.
But after leading the swim and bike legs, both faded badly in the run to finish in uncharted territory back in 10th and seventh respectively.
Both brothers attributed their dismal finishes to injuries, with Jonny adding: "It was pretty bad today".
"I had a big role to play in the opening ceremony which is why I waited until today to make the announcement", said Pearson, one of Australia's most decorated track athletes.
Ahmed, meanwhile, bettered his compatriot Hamizan Amirul Ibrahim's snatch record of 116kg, created in 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games.
- Gender pay gap: when does your company stop paying women in 2018?
- Missing CDC worker's body recovered in Atlanta river
- Space station re-entry called mostly successful
- You Can't Do This - Liverpool Legend Advises Reds Before Manchester City Clash
- NYPD Fatally Shoot Mentally Ill Black Man
- F-16 fighter jet crashes at base outside Vegas
- Winter holding on for dear life
- Don't spoil it for others: 'Infinity War' directors ask fans
- NYPD Blue producer dies at age 74
- Is legal weed the answer to Cleveland's opioid crisis?