David Warner joins Smith, Bancroft in accepting CA ban

Sunday, 08 Apr, 2018

The widespread criticism of Australia's cricket culture following last month's ball-tampering scandal in South Africa is rather exaggerated, former captain Ricky Ponting said yesterday.

Warner today joined sacked skipper Steve Smith and Cameron Bancroft in accepting the suspensions handed to them for bringing the game into disrepute during the Cape Town Test.

When asked how he would have reacted to the incident if he had been in a position to act, Ponting said it would be unfair for him to say, but did acknowledge that Cricket Australia's sanctions were pretty much necessary. But his tweet implied otherwise, stating how he seeks to atone for his actions and become a "better teammate and role model". As announced yesterday, all have now accepted the sanctions, without appeal. "I think we're all going to come under the microscope in terms of what is occurring back in the organisation that might have contributed to this", he said.

Ponting said that he understood the disappointment of the general Australian public as they have always looked up to their cricket team in a different manner.

'I won't be challenging the sanctions. "They've been imposed by CA to send a strong message and I have accepted them".

Smith and Bancroft were also barred from holding leadership positions within the Australian team for two years, while Warner will never be able to hold such a position again. Now that the series is over, good thing for players' sake is to try and get away from it all as hard as it might seem for them.

Bancroft, who used sandpaper to scratch the surface of the ball, said he had informed Cricket Australia he would serve his ban. Warner, like Smith and Bancroft, have decided not to contest their bans as well.

The independent review will run in tandem with another player-driven process - headed by former test opener Rick McCosker - to draw up a "charter" for standards of behaviour and expectations of Australian men's cricket teams.

But because all three players went no further than take responsibility for their own actions, some critics speculated that there must be concealing the facts or at the very least being insincere.

The events that unfolded in Cape Town during the third Test shocked everyone.

The review will provide recommendations to the Board of Cricket Australia. "It has also been humbling to be reminded of the passion all Australians have for our great game". "I hope that all players can successfully rebuild their career", he said. Last Wednesday we announced proposed sanctions against those players.