To be sure, it's unlikely Uber will ever be able to replicate the scale of public transit, even with its many bus-like services like Express Pool. An exact timeline for the fleet expansion is unknown.
Schaller says this "unsustainable" ride-sharing pattern is occurring in many major cities including Los Angeles and Boston. On April 9, the company said it had purchased Jump Bikes, a provider of dockless electric bicycles. But this signals the next big step in its evolution into a broader transportation platform. Jump bikes cost $2 per 30-minute ride. Upon completion, users can then lock the bike to any public rack in the designated zone shown on the app's map.
Uber Rent will launch in San Francisco later this month. By using the Getaround app, people skip the lines and paperwork at traditional rental auto counters, and the hassle of buying and maintaining a vehicle. You'll be able to get an Uber. The move comes as part of the ride-hailing company's ongoing efforts to improve its relationship with its drivers, and follows Uber's 180 Days of Change program, which was launched previous year to address improvements sought by drivers.
"Imagine there's a car-sharing network that has cars every half a mile", Khanna said. "If this goes on, you'll simply have gridlock".
Uber is hardly the first tech behemoth to lay out its vision for the future of transportation. He reiterated the company's commitment to autonomous vehicles, saying he believed "very important part of the solution of getting rid of auto ownership".
Uber: It's not just for cars anymore.
"We're excited to begin our next chapter and to play a significant part in the transition of Uber to a multi-modal platform", he said in a statement.
The data is being folded into separate similar information that includes taxicabs and other ride hailing companies.
The new Uber driver app will be available for driver partners in Kochi and courier partners in Chennai in India before being rolled out to other cities in a phased manner.
- Russian Federation warns U.S. against Syria strike
- No Major Lessons from New National Test Scores
- YouTube Illegally Collects Data on Children, Say Child Advocate Groups
- Canada hockey bus crash: what we know
- Fernando Torres to leave Atletico Madrid in search of game time
- Here's Why Barack & Michelle Obama Didn't Receive a Royal Wedding Invite
- Federal Bureau of Investigation raid on Trump lawyer's office: What you need to know
- Conor McGregor charged after allegedly attacking bus at UFC press event
- Israel's War Crimes in Gaza Continues
- UP: Rape victim's father dies in judicial custody, Yogi remains silent