We'll see freezing rain possibly changing to ice pellets this morning, then snow or ice pellets (5 to 10 cm) in the afternoon.
As Environment Canada warns residents in southern Ontario of a "potentially historic ice storm" this weekend, a number of closures are in place and officials are taking precautions.
Wind gusts to 40 miles per hour today and tonight teamed up with freezing rain late today and tonight could cause power outages.
Localized flooding from the downpour is also possible, the national weather agency said in a statement Saturday morning.
"It's a lot of freezing rain, no question about it", said Kimbell. However, there is a potential for this to be a high impact storm.
Toronto's Pearson Airport says travellers should check their flight status online before heading out, because the weather could lead to cancellations. This entails holding planning meetings, readying crews and equipment, mobilizing employees for storm duty and preparing to make arrangements for additional resources if needed.
Cooler air moves in Sunday, and heavy icing (half an inch) is possible north of I-96 and some lighter icing may occur in Kent, Ottawa and Ionia counties. By early Saturday afternoon, about 8,000 people were without power.
Due to the severe weather, Wilfrid Laurier University has shut down its Waterloo and Brantford campuses on Saturday.
The ice storm warning means total ice accumulations of a half inch of ice are expected, making traffic hard and causing downed tree limbs and power lines.
- Salah is an outstanding player, says Jurgen Klopp
- Missing Commonwealth Games athletes to be deported from Australia, says minister
- Security forces, militants clash in Kashmir's Kulgam district
- Khloé Kardashian Reportedly Having Contractions Hours After Cheating Scandal
- Go Behind The Scenes with the Cast of Marvel's AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR
- Ben Sasse: Donald Trump Ready to Rejoin TPP to Help American Farmers
- 257 dead in Algeria military plane crash
- Late Cinema Legend Sridevi Wins India's Top Acting Honor
- Saudi Aramco to develop $44 bln refinery complex on India's west coast
- Trump Lawyer Has Been Under Criminal Probe for Months, Prosecutors Say