Wind gusts were expected to be around 40 miles per hour late Sunday night into early Monday morning and then diminish throughout the day, he said.
"The strongest storms will be capable of large hail and brief tornadoes", the weather service cautions, "especially over eastern counties during the mid-late afternoon".
At 8 p.m., the heaviest storms extended in a roughly north-to-south line from Staunton to Farmville to Raleigh, N.C., and continued moving on an east-to-northeast path across the Piedmont. The main risks from severe thunderstorms will be damaging wind gusts, tornadoes, and large hail. The main event is looking to be from 4 through 9 p.m.
Wind speeds will calm down by Tuesday, the coldest day this week in the valley, with an expected 68-degree high.
Berkeley County Electric Coop reported 908 customers without power in Berkeley, 129 in Charleston County and 27 in Dorchester County.
Sirens will blare at 1:45 p.m. and at 6:45 p.m. Thursday as the weather service issues simulated tornado warnings as part of Severe Weather Awareness Week in Minnesota.
It's Severe Weather Awareness Week, and as communities across the state test their sirens, one local farmer knows first-hand how important it is to be prepared. A warning means that action is required because of immediate threats.
An average of 23 tornadoes touch down in Wisconsin every year, according to the National Weather Service. Farther west, the wintry mix may be more prevalent, so the National Weather Service has issued a winter weather advisory for Chase County until 7 pm and a separate advisory for Morris County from 10 am to 7 pm. FutureTrack shows the heaviest rainfall falling across northwest Louisiana.
A slightly stronger tornado cut a path more than a mile long and 360 yards wide through Claiborne County just to the southeast of Port Gibson.
"We also can't rule out a tornado", Carpenter said.
- Palestinians prepare for more mass protests
- Chemical weapons body backs United Kingdom over nerve-agent attack on spy
- New 'self-destructing' confidential emails being tested in Gmail
- Late Cinema Legend Sridevi Wins India's Top Acting Honor
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Niko Kovac: Bayern Munich announce Croat will replace Jupp Heynckes
- Trump now sees inquiry into Cohen as greater threat than Mueller
- Ice storm warning for Western New York
- Another member of the Humboldt Broncos has passed away
- Google might call the next version of Android, 'Popsicle'