There are few more likeable and that, largely, is why there was such sympathy for a player who had been overcome by fury, who had clearly terrified Oliver and later claimed that he had "a rubbish bin for a heart".
"When [Buffon] talked about the referee, it was hard for me to understand him honestly", Del Piero told Sky Sport Italia.
The game was heading to extra time - as the three-minute added time was nearly up - when Mehdi Benatia brought down Lucas Vazquez in the box, and Cristiano Ronaldo converted the penalty to send Real to the semifinals.
"The team gave its all, but a human being can not destroy dreams like that at the end of an extraordinary comeback on a dubious situation", the 40-year-old said, per BBC Sport.
Buffon said that sometimes in order to defend your team, you have to let out what you feel, even if it damages your reputation.
"I also told him that in the first leg in the 92nd minute there was a penalty on [Juan] Cuadrado". This referee did not have the courage or the personality for this level.
English ref Michael Oliver awarded Real the spot-kick after adjudging Juve defender Mehdi Benatia had fouled Lucas Vazquez inside the area.
"What a pity the FA didn't promote Oliver sooner so he could have been eligible for the World Cup".
The BBC has reported that police are investigating abusive text messages sent to Oliver's wife - a Women's Super League referee who also officiates men's non-league football - after her mobile number was posted on social media.
A frustrating European evening in Spain against Real Madrid has, however, appeared to nudge Buffon back towards the hanging up of his gloves.
Buffon's dismissal generated a storm back home with Turin daily La Stampa lamenting "the beauty of football, and its cruelty". "He's been an enormous player".
Juventus president Andrea Agnelli said he could understand Buffon's fury and called for the introduction of the use of VAR in the Champions League - it is already used in the Serie A in Italy.
"A goal-line official behind the line isn't the same thing as an official in front of a video replay".
- Chemical weapons body backs United Kingdom over nerve-agent attack on spy
- IPL: AB de Villiers stars as Bangalore beat Kings XI Punjab
- Arab Stocks Advance as Jitters Over US Strike in Syria Fade
- Assad tells Russian lawmakers Western strikes were act of aggression
- New 'self-destructing' confidential emails being tested in Gmail
- Defoe strengthens Euros case
- Knightdale Police investigate infant death, parents are father and daughter
- Flyers need to improve everywhere to win Game 2
- National Weather Service forecasts heavy rain, possible thunderstorms Sunday night into Monday
- Russian court orders ban on Telegram app