Lamar was born and raised in the Los Angeles suburb of Compton, the home of hip-hop pioneers NWA, and started making music as a 16-year-old.
Kendrick Lamar's popularity has transformed from this released music albums to the Pulitzer that he has recently won for his album Damn. His deep lyrical content, remarkable live performances, and his profound mix of hip-hop, spoken word, jazz, soul, funk, poetry and African sounds are unlike any modern day rapper. In a year filled with breaking news, the Pulitzers recognized reporting on the California wildfires, Duterte's grotesque war on drugs in the Philippines, Rachel Kaadzi Ghansah's profile of church shooter Dylann Roof and Ronan Farrow's bombshell reporting on Harvey Weinstein, which launched the continuing #MeToo movement. It's the first-ever album to win Pulitzer outside the classical and jazz genre.
- Do you agree with the jurors that rap music can be artistic, experimental and sophisticated? Each loss has been criticized by the music community, launching the conversation about how the Recording Academy might be out of touch. And as we've seen on his previous albums, Lamar's greatest instrument is his voice.
The 30-year-old Grammy victor beat finalists Michael Gilbertson ('Quartet') and Ted Hearne ('Sound from the Bench') to the award; both classical composers of a similar age.
The 2017 Pulitzer Prize for music went to "Angel's Bone", an opera by composer Du Yun.
Kendrick Lamar has been awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Music for his 2017 studio album DAMN.
Kendrick Lamar and Rihanna in a scene from the film clip for their song Loyalty.
- Mourinho slams United as they hand title to City
- LeBron James Still Confident Despite Shocking Loss to Pacers
- Judge In Cohen Case Was Almost Bill Clinton's AG Nominee
- Android apps tracking kids unlawfully, violating child privacy laws
- Sean Hannity Is Named as Michael Cohen's Client
- US, UK Joint Alert Blames Russia for 'Malicious' Cyber Attack
- Was Real Madrid penalty decision correct? Should Buffon retire?
- Kathua & Unnao Rape Case: Smriti Irani Attacks Rahul Gandhi for Midnight March
- IPL: RCB win toss, elect to bowl against MI
- Special NIA Court: Judge Resigned after verdict in Mecca Masjid blast