He struck out five but allowed two home runs, including an inside-the-park homer by Denard Span in the second inning after a line drive bounced past center fielder Jackie Bradley Jr. and rolled all the way to the center field wall. But the official scorer changed it to an inside-the-park homer thanks to the bad bounce.
BC-BBA-Rays-Red-Sox, 1st Ld-Writethru, 834 Snell strikes out 9, Rays top Red Sox for 7th straight winAP Photo MAMD105, MAMD103, MAMD101, MAMD116, MAMD115, MAMD108Eds: Rays 4, Red Sox 3. The two-run mistake by Bradley didn't help, then Price served up an 80-mph hanging curve for Wilson Ramos and knew it was gone as soon it was struck. Mookie Betts had two of them, J.D. Martinez had a single and a double, and Xander Bogaerts had two singles and a double to pace the Boston attack. Alex Colome worked the ninth for his fifth save in seven opportunities, striking out pinch-hitter Andre Benitendi looking to end it. Drew Pomeranz (0-2) struggled again as he took the loss: he allowed four runs on six hits with two walks and four strikeouts over five innings.
Red Sox: RHP Rick Porcello (4-0, 1.93 ERA) struck out a season-high nine over seven innings Tuesday at Toronto, but did not factor in the decision. "He shows up and gets us to where we still have the lead", Cash said. Ramos hammered it over everything in left and the Rays took a 4-3 into the fourth inning.
Bogaerts, batting.368 with two home runs and nine RBIs this season, missed 15 games with an ankle injury.
And then the Rays went back ahead in the sixth, and added on.
They loaded the bases again in the bottom of the third, and again they scored only one run when Bogaerts singled. He has not played since April 8. In the seventh, they got one a homer by Carlos Gomez. The team said it was precautionary, and he's listed as day to day. Martinez also had an RBI single in the eighth.Rays right-hander Yonny Chirinos (0-1, 2.92 ERA) opposes Red Sox left-hander David Price (2-2, 2.93 ERA) today at 4 p.m. Price pitched seven scoreless innnings in each of the first two starts against the Rays.
- Jose Mourinho sends Arsene Wenger a classy tribute ahead of last meeting
- Ronny Jackson, Trump's pick for veterans affairs secy, withdraws nomination
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- United Kingdom court rejects appeal for terminally ill boy Alfie Evans
- Mgm Resorts International (MGM) Position Held by Fir Tree Inc
- Active Stock Momentum: QTS Realty Trust, Inc. (QTS)
- United States intelligence committee probe finds no Trump-Russia collusion
- Sadio Mane spotted limping into hospital as Liverpool fans sweat over injury
- Davis wills Pelicans to playoff series win
- Russell Westbrook & Paul George lead greatest comeback in OKC history