Hurst fell due to the heart condition that was discovered at the NFL Combine, which prevented him from working out in Indianapolis. Assuming that isn't an issue, he will be a productive defensive lineman at the National Football League level.
Sometimes bad things happen to good people and there may not be a better example of that in the 2018 NFL draft than Maurice Hurst of MI football. "The one thing that this staff has, they have a vision".
Hurst was graded a unanimous first round prospect by nearly everyone with an opinion about the NFL Draft, and rightly so. But NFL teams' concern caused Hurst to fall into the fifth round. Grew up a Buccaneers fan and said it was a "childhood dream" to play for Jon Gruden. "I'm ready to get going there and compete and learn from the older guys".
But maybe the Raiders should. On Thursday, they traded a third-round pick to acquire Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Martavis Bryant.
"I was a little down about it for like a day or two, but after that I felt like it helped me", Hall said. Ideally, he said, Key fills that need.
Following the 2017 season, Hall played in the East-West Shrine Game, but was not selected to the NFL Combine.
The risk attached to Hurst is different. The former Wolverines standout was supposed to be a first-round pick, until a rare heart condition caused him to plummet in the draft. General manager Reggie McKenzie is expected to address the situation later Saturday at a news conference. He sought a second and third opinion, and he received clearance from cardiologists from University of MI and Harvard University.
"It's money. I'm just upset and disappointed teams decided not to pick me", Hurst said.
Hurst was a consensus All-American in 2017. Hurst ranked as the No. 3 player on Pro Football Focus, behind Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold, coming into the draft.
Parker was the Raiders' second selection of an FCS player. His combination of speed, power, and pass rushing moves made him effective and landed him in the first round of most mock drafts.
Nelson, the Raiders' fourth-round draft pick, tore his meniscus during a pre-draft workout and said Saturday he's in week two of a projected six-week recovery process. Last year's top two picks, cornerback Gareon Conley and safety Obi Melifonwu, combined for only 127 defensive snaps as rookies because of injuries. He has no career interceptions but did have 21 passes defensed last season. They took Florida's Johnny Townsend 173rd overall and as the third punter in the fifth round.
The Raiders' final selection came in the seventh round (229th) with wide receiver Marcell Ateman of Oklahoma State.
- Armenian opposition leader says assured Russian Federation won't intervene in crisis
- Raptors oust Wizards...Pacers blow out Cavs to force Game 7
- Sadio Mane spotted limping into hospital as Liverpool fans sweat over injury
- Amber Rudd resigns as United Kingdom home secretary over immigration scandal
- ValuEngine Upgrades Crown Castle International (CCI) to Buy
- Ronny Jackson, Trump's pick for veterans affairs secy, withdraws nomination
- At Michigan Rally, Donald Trump Ridicules 'Phony' White House Correspondents' Dinner
- The Best 2018 GEICO 500 Lineup — Fantasy NASCAR Picks
- Terrorist Documented Sabotaging Camera on Gaza Border
- Mobile, Sprint will finally get hitched in $26B mega mobile deal