"It was tough to concede that goal so early in the second half", Heynckes said.
There was a real ebb and flow to the game with both sides having chances, but Bayern continued to look the most risky on the attack, and again looked sure to score just after the half hour mark when Muller headed the ball into the path of James after Lewandowski's shot was parried away by Navas. A long passage of possession was also soon rewarded when, after a move involving 28 Madrid passes, Marcelo crossed to find Karim Benzema in space on the edge of the six-yard box to head what was his first goal from open play since February. A 3-2 loss, however, would send Bayern Munich through to the final.
Bayern are in an identical position to last year's quarterfinals, when Real knocked them out.
Zinedine Zidane's side take a 2-1 lead into the home leg of their semi-final against five-time winners Bayern Munich.
"They are a big club with a great team and like always they will try to play a great game and impose themselves on proceedings".
Bayern Munich warmed up for the second leg with a 4-1 win over Eintracht Frankfurt in a Bundesliga fixture on Saturday, April 28.
Call it revenge for last season's infamous ouster or as a tribute to Jupp Heynckes, Bayern Munich will be up for this Herculean task better than ever before. Meanwhile Robert Lewandowski continued to struggle up front, as he went a fifth straight Champions League game without a goal for the first time in his career. We will not give Barcelona a guard of honour next weekend. In the first leg, we lacked that constant focus during the game.
Cristiano Ronaldo could have wrapped it up from Marcelo's cross as Madrid looked to finish it off; instead James Rodríguez drilled past Navas at the second attempt to revive Bayern hopes, but Madrid held on in a frenetic final half-hour.
After suffering the heartbreak of defeats in the 2010 and 2012 finals, it was his deft backheel which Robben fired home for the winning goal at Wembley against Borussia Dortmund in 2013.
- At Michigan Rally, Donald Trump Ridicules 'Phony' White House Correspondents' Dinner
- Penn State's Saquon Barkley Drafted By New York Giants
- Sainsbury's and Asda merger: the key facts and figures
- Volunteers needed to install free smoke alarms around Bakersfield
- ValuEngine Upgrades Crown Castle International (CCI) to Buy
- Amber Rudd resigns as United Kingdom home secretary over immigration scandal
- Raptors oust Wizards...Pacers blow out Cavs to force Game 7
- Trump Slams Michelle Wolf's 'Filthy' Performance At Correspondents' Dinner
- Jets, Bills finally appear to have franchise QB in making
- Armenian opposition leader says assured Russian Federation won't intervene in crisis