Britain, France and Germany have agreed that the Iran nuclear deal, that U.S. President Donald Trump has threatened to walk out from, remains the best way of stopping Tehran from gaining access to nuclear weapons, British Prime Minister Theresa May's office said on Sunday.
A source told France's version of HuffPo that the move was the result of a U.S. Customs requirement that the tree, like many plants from overseas, go through a period of quarantine created to stop invasive insect species.
Perhaps he had lunch on his mind, or perhaps it was a mistranslation - but an unfortunate and somewhat Freudian slip of the tongue from French President Emmanuel Macron in Sydney on Wednesday has set social media giggling. White House officials say the tree's roots were wrapped at the time.
It was put in quarantine, like other plants or animals brought into US territory.
US President Donald Trump shakes hands with US National Security Advisor John Bolton during a meeting with senior military leaders at the White House in Washington DC.
But now, less than a week later, photos show an off-colour, pale patch of turf where the sapling once stood.
Amid speculation, France on Sunday came through with an explanation: the tree, now not just a plant, but a symbol of US-French relations, had been placed in quarantine.
It was feared parasites from the tree could spread to others on White House property.
Reuters reported that the tree grew near the "Devil Dog" fountain.
The sapling was taken from Belleau Wood, where more 2,000 American marines died, and over 7,000 were injured, in a battle in June 1918 during World War I.
Soon the tree which, according to officials, "feeling good", will be returned to the place.
- Mobile, Sprint will finally get hitched in $26B mega mobile deal
- Google, Fitbit partnership will improve digital health and patient care
- USC's Sam Darnold selected third by the New York Jets; instant reaction
- 'Hope Has Vanished': Veteran Photojournalist Is Killed in Kabul
- #IfSlaveryWasAChoice: Kanye tells TMZ slavery was a choice
- San Diego woman attacked by 'Golden State Killer' speaks out
- Maurice Hurst JR. Drafted By The Raiders
- Early Voting Up; County Primary Election Day Tuesday
- Trump should win the Nobel Peace Prize, says South Korea's Moon
- For new J&K Dy CM Kathua rape case 'small incident'