ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported during the NFL Draft that Witten, the Cowboys' all-time leader in games played, was a candidate for the job but owner Jerry Jones and coach Jason Garrett were trying to convince him to continue to play.
Witten will join the Monday Night Football commentary crew. His 63 receptions and 560 receiving yards last season were each the second-fewest of his career.
Just look to Tony Romo, who quickly became one of the premiere color commentators on CBS after his retirement.
Ultimately, he opted to retire to start a new chapter in his life after one of the most successful runs in Cowboys history.
Remarkably, he did not miss a single game since the 2004 season as he went on to play a franchise record 239 total games, including 235 consecutive games for the Cowboys.
Witten, who turns 36 on Sunday, liked to do his talking on the field.
Most felt Witten would become a coach after his playing days, but he joked that the broadcaster's lifestyle is a little better.
As for the press conference/going away conference, the highlights had to be Ginger slapping Witten in the chest twice & then Jerry saying that Jason should've knocked the shiit out of Ginger for this... He spent two seasons walking under it. Though Witten never won a Super Bowl with the Cowboys, he'll have a spot in the team's Ring of Honor and could be a first-ballot Hall of Famer. Not only that, but he's got the fourth most receptions in National Football League history only behind the likes of Larry Fitzgerald, Tony Gonzalez and Jerry Rice.
Because not only was Witten now headed out of the picture, so too was fellow tight end James Hanna. Without Witten, more of that responsibility will fall on Prescott, who is entering his third season.
With that popularity comes a bunch of opportunities for current and former players. Dallas drafted Stanford's Dalton Schultz in the fourth round last week. "When you're in those moments, those other things didn't really exist, so I think that had a lot to do with it".
- Early Voting Up; County Primary Election Day Tuesday
- Labour Day being observed in Pakistan
- Google, Fitbit partnership will improve digital health and patient care
- Trump should win the Nobel Peace Prize, says South Korea's Moon
- Virat and Anushka celebrate her B'Day on Bangalore turf
- #IfSlaveryWasAChoice: Kanye tells TMZ slavery was a choice
- Japan to host summit with China, South Korea on May 9
- Netflix Reveals 13 Reasons Why Return Date With Stunning Promo!
- Free 2018 World Cup Update coming to Federation Internationale de Football Association 18 on May 29
- WinView Games Playbook: Lightning vs Bruins