Jack Mills, who represents Baker Mayfield, indicated today the Patriots expressed interest in moving up to the No. 2 spot (that would have meant a trade with the Giants) in order to draft the Heisman Trophy victor if he wasn't selected by the Browns No. 1 overall.
The Pats would have had to trade with the New York Giants, who held the No. 2 pick.
"He visited them. But we never thought they were going to take a quarterback", Mills said of the Giants, who drafted running back Saquon Barkley.
There had been talk of the Patriots using their 23rd and 31st picks to move up in the draft to select a QB of the future, but getting all the way up to the New York Giants' pick at #2 would have been incredibly hard.
The biggest question about this pick is that the Giants decided not to select a quarterback at the draft; instead, they're sticking with 37-year-old Eli Manning.
The Browns took the 2017 Heisman Trophy victor No. 1 overall last Thursday and did so with very little hesitation.
The Patriots had two first-round picks in the draft, both toward the end of the round. He felt Mayfield was their man after the team brought him in for a private workout in March.
Life after Brady is not something Patriots fans want to think about, but the team has to prepare for it. They loved Barkley and general manager David Gettleman said he had no interest in trading out of the spot. "We thought they were going to trade down".
This is the first draft for John Dorsey and there was a lot of pressure for him to deliver, especially with the draft assets amassed by Brown. They ended up drafting LSU quarterback Danny Etling in the seventh round.
Thompson came to Georgia in 2015 as the number one ranked recruit in all of high school football by Rivals.com, a unanimous five-star selection, and one of the most coveted prospects to come out in the last five years.
- Unemployment falls below 4 percent for first time since 2000
- The Kentucky Derby: five reasons why you shouldn't miss it
- Iran Not Willing to Accept Changes to Nuclear Agreement
- Liverpool reaches CL final despite 4-2 loss at Roma
- Free 2018 World Cup Update coming to Federation Internationale de Football Association 18 on May 29
- James stays flawless in first round as Cavs advance
- School walkout supports gun rights, Second Amendment
- Wenger 'very sad' to leave Arsenal with Europa League heartbreak
- Early Voting Up; County Primary Election Day Tuesday
- Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho explains Alexis Sanchez omission