FIFTEEN people, including the main accused, have been arrested in connection with the alleged rape and killing of a minor girl by setting her on fire in Jharkhand's Chatra district, police said on Saturday. After discovering that their girl had been raped, the parents approached the village elders seeking justice.
The victim's family reported the attack to village council leaders who ordered two accused men to do 100 sit-ups and pay a fine of 50,000 rupees (£552).
In a horrific incident, a 16-year-old girl was gang raped and subsequently burnt to death in front of her family members on Friday.
Five people, reportedly, abducted the girl last week when she was on her way to attend a relative's marriage ceremony.
Indian authorities have faced renewed pressure to act over sexual assault since the recent gang rape and murder of an eight-year-old Muslim girl by a group of Hindus in Jammu and Kashmir state.
The victim's father told the Hindustan Times that the men 'got infuriated and started thrashing us.
Though not a part of India's legal system, village elders are generally highly respected, and usually, have the moral power to pass punishments for crimes committed within their communities.
The accused have run away the village after the incident and police are conducting raids to held the escapee.
'However, when we returned after half an hour, we found our daughter burnt and dead inside our home'.
Bokaro range inspector general of police Shambhu Thakur said, "A manhunt is on to nab four others who are absconding".
Jharkhand chief minister Raghubar Das said he was shocked by the gruesome incident and called for stringent action against the culprits.
About 40 percent of the cases involve child rape. The government recently put out an executive order to change the law and bring in the death penalty for child rapists.
- Trump 'dictated own doctor's letter about his excellent health'
- The Kentucky Derby: five reasons why you shouldn't miss it
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Trump refunded €108K hush money his lawyer gave porn star stormy
- Connect Group PLC (CNCT) Receives Average Recommendation of "Buy" from Analysts
- Europa League: Atletico Madrid Boss Diego Simeone Banned For Final vs Marseille
- PM Modi takes 'PPP' jibe at Congress, Siddaramaiah hits back
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War
- Boston Red Sox vs. Texas Rangers, 5-3-2018 - Expert Prediction
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester