FIFTEEN people, including the main accused, have been arrested in connection with the alleged rape and killing of a minor girl by setting her on fire in Jharkhand's Chatra district, police said on Saturday. After discovering that their girl had been raped, the parents approached the village elders seeking justice.
The victim's family reported the attack to village council leaders who ordered two accused men to do 100 sit-ups and pay a fine of 50,000 rupees (£552).
In a horrific incident, a 16-year-old girl was gang raped and subsequently burnt to death in front of her family members on Friday.
Five people, reportedly, abducted the girl last week when she was on her way to attend a relative's marriage ceremony.
Indian authorities have faced renewed pressure to act over sexual assault since the recent gang rape and murder of an eight-year-old Muslim girl by a group of Hindus in Jammu and Kashmir state.
The victim's father told the Hindustan Times that the men 'got infuriated and started thrashing us.
Though not a part of India's legal system, village elders are generally highly respected, and usually, have the moral power to pass punishments for crimes committed within their communities.
The accused have run away the village after the incident and police are conducting raids to held the escapee.
'However, when we returned after half an hour, we found our daughter burnt and dead inside our home'.
Bokaro range inspector general of police Shambhu Thakur said, "A manhunt is on to nab four others who are absconding".
Jharkhand chief minister Raghubar Das said he was shocked by the gruesome incident and called for stringent action against the culprits.
About 40 percent of the cases involve child rape. The government recently put out an executive order to change the law and bring in the death penalty for child rapists.
- United States interest rate rise in June '100% certain' after Fed delays
- Unemployment falls below 4 percent for first time since 2000
- Surprising Stocks: Finisar Corporation, (NASDAQ: FNSR), GlaxoSmithKline plc, (NYSE: GSK)
- GOP Candidate Connects Boy Scouts Name Change With Caving To Nazism
- Trump 'dictated own doctor's letter about his excellent health'
- Smart money points to Trump charge
- Defoe strengthens Euros case
- Most active Western Conference teams this offseason
- Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho explains Alexis Sanchez omission
- The Kentucky Derby: five reasons why you shouldn't miss it