Rebels, Indian troops clash in Kashmir's main city; 1 killed

Monday, 07 May, 2018

Protesters took to the streets after the Indian forces killed three Kashmiris in a shootout earlier today during a search operation in in the old part of the city (Chattabal).

A video recording has gone viral in Jammu and Kashmir showing a stone pelter being run over by a forces' vehicle leading to his instant death.

The police said that one of the slain militants was Fayaz Ahmed Hamaal, a resident of Srinagar's Fatah Kadal locality, whereas identities of the two others killed with him are yet to be ascertained.

Kashmir Dispatch was first to report Adil's death after he was mowed down by the forces vehicle.

Joint Hurriyat Leadership has called for a complete shutdown in Kashmir on Sunday against the killing of three militants and a civilian in Chattabal gunfight and clashes. "Citizens may not pay heed to rumours".

"Is there no sense of humanity left in India?" he wrote. "The injured was shifted to a hospital", said the police. Since firing was going on, the body could not be recovered, the sources added. Sahi said the first contact with the militants was established at 4 am and then there was a lull of almost two hours.

Taking a strong note of the Noorbagh incident, officials said, Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti directed the police to punish the guilty.

Militants also shot dead another civilian, Mohammad Ashraf Mir, of Sopore, and fired upon his wife. "Instructions to police on being careful at encounter sites are reiterated ad nauseam, but individual responses in the heat of the moment can not be calculated".

The authorities foiled attempt of the JRL leaders to address a Press conference at a local hotel. The police said that militants abducted Ghulam Hassan Dar (45) alias Hassan Rassa and his nephew Bashir Ahmad Dar (26) from their houses at Gulshan Mohalla of Hajin during the intervening night of May 4 and 5.

A Special Police Officer (SPO), Showkat Ahmad, was killed by militants in south Kashmir Pulwama district, officials said.

Troops asked the trapped militants to surrender but they instead started shooting and sparked a gun battle, police claimed.