Musk also told Forbes at the time: "We took some time apart for several months to see if absence makes the heart grow fonder, and unfortunately it did not". While it might've seemed like another random venture Musk chose to embark on, like his sale of flame throwers or hats, the billionaire was actually teasing Berkshire Hathaway CEO Warren Buffett.
Some were unimpressed by Musk's handling of a conference call with analysts following Tesla's financial statement, in which he called a question from one analyst "boring".
Buffett, at his annual Berkshire Hathaway meeting Saturday, reportedly responded by saying moats are still a good idea - and that his See's sweets business is a good example. Musk responded, "Sounds great riding my cyborg". "They're like nice in a sort of quaint, vestigial way".
Warren Buffett, who just was answering a shareholder's question about whether he had agreed with Elon Musk's views about so-called "economic moats" or not. Musk called moats "lame", and said "what matters is the pace of innovation, according to a CNBC report".
"Certainly, you should work on improving your own moat and you should defend your own moat all the time". It was Galileo Russell, a 25-year-old who hosts a show on YouTube called HyperChange TV that focuses on the business of technology companies. "And Elon may turn things upside down in some areas", Buffett said during the Berkshire meeting in Omaha.
Musk was off and running after that and the first candy tweet was out.
But then again if you'd asked me how seriously we should have taken this tweet from Christmas Eve, I'd have said the same and yet. A moat is a term coined by Buffett to describe a company's competitive advantage.
"I'm starting a candy company & it's going to be unbelievable", he wrote in a Twitter post on Saturday.
While there's always a chance Musk was simply off firing off late night tweets to test out some of his business ideas with the public, the billionaire later posted that he is "super super serious", about the venture.
- Conte coy over Chelsea future
- Explosion in Gaza building kills six Hamas members
- Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson to be paired at Players Championship
- GGG equals record after second round KO
- Big Buff has Jets on verge of West final
- Braden Holtby: Impressive effort as Capitals advance
- Amazon Alexa can be set as default Android assistant
- Anti-India Protests In Kashmir Follow Reported Killing Of Rebels
- MI keep breathing; beat KXIP by 6 wickets
- Google Maps gets personalised recommendation features and a neat Augmented Reality view