In a reflection of the deep sensitivities, dozens of countries - including Britain, France and Germany - skipped Sunday night's celebration at the Israeli Foreign Ministry.
Netanyahu on Sunday praised Trump's "bold decision" in upending decades of USA policy by relocating the embassy from Tel Aviv and recognizing Jerusalem as Israel's capital. The Mufti also called for commemorating the 70th anniversary of the Nakba.
A picture taken on April 13, 2018 from the southern Israeli kibbutz of Nahal Oz across the border with the Gaza Strip shows Israeli soldiers and Palestinian protesters gathering along the border fence with Israel.
Netanyahu did not let the opportunity to confront the Iranian threat elude him, explaining, "With all due respect to those sitting in European capitals, we here in the capitals of the Middle East-in Jerusalem, in Riyadh and elsewhere - we've seen the disastrous consequences of the Iran deal". Israel maintains it has acted legitimately to protect its civilians from militants trying to breach the border. At the same time, the US State Department is taking care to reassure the Arab world that the embassy move does not amount to a judgment on the final status of the ancient city and its "contested borders".
A small group of dovish Israelis protested the march.
A high-ranking delegation of Gaza's Hamas rulers is heading to Egypt a day ahead of a planned massive rally at the Israel-Gaza border. Both Israel and neighbouring Palestine claim the holy city as their capital - one of many issues which have fueled their decades-long conflict - and the USA had until then refrained from recognising either claim for fear of sparking violence and derailing peace talks.
The Old City in east Jerusalem is home to key holy sites sacred to Jews, Christians and Muslims. Peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians have been stalled for several years and Israeli settlements in the occupied territories have expanded.
Trump announced his decision on Jerusalem in December, triggering a joyous reaction from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government.
"It's been the capital of our state for the past 70 years".
Following Trump's move, they said the U.S. can not be considered as a fair peace broker in the Middle East.
She is part if a 250-person presidential delegation lead by Deputy Secretary of State John Sullivan which also includes her husband and senior White House aide Jared Kushner, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin.
Israel captured east Jerusalem in the 1967 Mideast war and annexed it in a move not recognized internationally.
- Simpson extends Players lead to 7 shots
- How England is preparing for Prince Harry and Meaghan Markle's royal wedding
- Area postal carriers hosting food drive
- Liverpool to 'recharge' before Champions League final - Jurgen Klopp
- Google: Duplex phone calling AI will identify itself
- Russian Federation calls for restraint from Iran, Israel after missile strikes
- Trump declares 'major disaster' in Hawaii following volcano's eruption
- Mother's Day: Messages, Wishes And Images To Share With Your Mom
- ISRAEL ON EDGE: Protesters Gather at Israel-Gaza Border
- Spanish Grand Prix driver ratings: Hamilton ideal , Verstappen on song, Vettel struggles