Pep Guardiola will be able to sit back and watch Saturday's FA Cup final with a satisfied smile - if not smirk - on his face, knowing that for the second time in two seasons of English football he has outdone his old adversary Jose Mourinho.
Despite the fact that United had very little left to play for in this match following their 0-0 draw against West Ham United in midweek which secured them second place, José Mourinho still named a strong starting line-up.
Michael Carrick played his final game on Sunday and will now join the coaching staff full-time and Mourinho says the midfielder could become his assistant at some point.
With United thinking about next week's FA Cup final and making nine changes - and Watford probably looking forward to their summer holidays - the game was short on intensity. I know the style sometimes frustrates the fans but you can not argue with results.
Carrick will move into Mourinho's backroom team from next season and the Portuguese added: "It was already hard for me because I got him in the last two years of his career".
Thursday night's tiresome draw at West Ham confirmed second and today's game wasn't much better but it has been obvious since the semi final that Jose Mourinho has seen these last few games as processions.
"We're going to have some success in the near future I'm certain of that", he assured supporters. "Training, playing, travelling, studying, laughing and also a few tears of happiness", the Portuguese said.
"That's why I haven't brought in any young players because my players deserve that."
"It's been a big change since I came", added Carrick.
Watford head coach Javi Gracia: "After the last game and getting 41 points, now it is the new target to finish 10th, try to win the last game and try to score a goal away from home". I know them better than anyone. Then, in the 33rd minute, Carrick rolled back the years and put his own personal stamp on his farewell with a glorious pass to start the move for United's winning goal.
- Sinclair to Raise $1.5 Billion From Station Divestitures
- Google: Duplex phone calling AI will identify itself
- How England is preparing for Prince Harry and Meaghan Markle's royal wedding
- Israel boosts Gaza border forces before protest
- Lilly buys ARMO BioSciences for $1.6 billion
- Russian Federation calls for restraint from Iran, Israel after missile strikes
- Walmart- Flipkart Deal Will Help Job Creation In India
- ISRAEL ON EDGE: Protesters Gather at Israel-Gaza Border
- Paris knife attacker was born in 1997 in Chechnya
- Mother's Day: Messages, Wishes And Images To Share With Your Mom