Haspel - who would replace now-Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in the role - has gotten support from lawmakers on the left.
However, Haspel refused to condemn past interrogation practices as "immoral", despite intense prodding from California Democratic Sen.
The GOP side of the aisle, however, appears more unpredictable. Sen.
After the hearing, McCain, who is battling brain cancer home in Arizona, called Haspel a patriot for her long service to the Central Intelligence Agency.
Underneath questioning Wednesday in entrance of the Senate Intelligence Committee, Haspel mentioned she wouldn't allow the CIA to restart the tough interrogation program it beforehand ran, including that she did not "imagine that torture works".
"I have seen the classified material, which I of course can't get into, but there are other holes in the story beyond the fact that her former boss has publicly contradicted her", Wyden said in an interview Monday.
The U.S. Senate Intelligence Committee will reportedly hold the vote behind closed doors, which is its traditional procedure.
Enhanced interrogation techniques were introduced in the United States after the tragic events of September 11, 2001. But Rodriguez said in a recent interview with ProPublica that he told Haspel ahead of time that he meant to issue the order on his own, without informing Goss first.
But Mr. Paul's hometown newspaper, The Bowling Green Daily News, increased the pressure on him to support Mr. Trump's pick, publishing an emotional editorial recalling the days after 9/11 when "America lost its innocence".
Notably absent from Haspel's letter was any statement about her role in destroying 92 videotapes of interrogations carried out at the Thailand facility.
Mark Warner said Tuesday he was supporting her nomination in what he described as a "difficult decision". John McCain, who was tortured while in captivity during the Vietnam War, to announce his opposition to her nomination. "He lets people make arguments right up until the last minute".
This content is published through a licensing agreement with Acquire Media using its NewsEdge technology.
- See The Official Teaser & Poster For "Bohemian Rhapsody" Biopic
- Tottenham 5-4 Leicester City: Wild win for Spurs
- Simpson extends Players lead to 7 shots
- Lethal Weapon Recasts Lead With Seann William Scott as New Character
- Don't worry, Congress will come back: Siddaramaiah dismisses exit polls on Karnataka
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Russian Federation calls for restraint from Iran, Israel after missile strikes
- Israel boosts Gaza border forces before protest
- 2015 nuclear deal should have targeted Iran's policies
- Toronto Blue Jays vs. Boston Red Sox