What's next: Archibong says the next step in the auditing process is to investigate the suspended apps. The company said in an update, its first look since the social network announced the internal audit in March, that the apps would now undergo a "thorough investigation" into whether they had misused user data.
He added that should they fine evidence that the suspended apps or other apps did misuse data, they will banned from the social media site and they will notify users.
Facebook is looking at all apps that "had access to large amounts of information" before 2014, when the company locked down access to such data. But apparently, per the scope of the investigation, thousands of apps could have used this tactic before that point.
Facebook is especially focused on apps operating in 2014 or earlier.
Facebook has previously set up a website which automatically reveals to users (if they're logged in) whether Cambridge Analtyica may have accessed you or your friends' data.
Facebook has been under the microscope over the last couple of months following on from the Cambridge Analytica revelations. The good news is that the most important actions to prevent this from happening again today we have already taken years ago. Facebook also will ban apps if their developers refuse to participate in an audit.
"Cambridge Analytica had approached the myPersonality app team in 2013 to get access to the data, but was turned down because of its political ambitions", the report said.
"We are investing heavily to make sure this investigation is as thorough and timely as possible, concluded Archibong".
The ongoing audit is considering two facets of apps that hooked into Facebook's data stream.
- God gave you a gift - your mother
- Spanish Grand Prix driver ratings: Hamilton ideal , Verstappen on song, Vettel struggles
- Pakistan, Turkey to raise voice against Israeli atrocities at world forums
- You Need This Thanos Infinity Gauntlet Cup In Your Life
- Angry and frustration as Edmund's run comes to an end — Madrid Open
- Apple, Goldman Sachs planning Pay-branded credit card
- See The Official Teaser & Poster For "Bohemian Rhapsody" Biopic
- Manchester City's record breaking Premier League season by the numbers
- Nawaz Sharif 'Speaking Modi's Words' On Mumbai Attacks: Top 10 Developments
- Seattle City Council Approves Tax on Large Businesses Such As Amazon