Both teams have met just twice in all European competitions in 2008/2009 Champions' League group stage with Atletico Madrid defeating Marseille 2-1 in France while the second leg at the Stade Velodrome ended goalless as Marseille finished in the third place.
Madrid stack up as the stronger side, but with Simeone gone from the sideline after his sending-off in the semifinal, and with this one being played in France, it's easy to see the Europa League trophy ending up with either team.
"We need him and he knows that we want him to stay".
Skipper Dimitri Payet has urged his Marseille team-mates to rise to the occasion and beat Atletico tonight.
"What Simeone is doing for the club is historic", Griezmann said in an interview with UEFA.
"As is the case with any defense which plays so close together, we're going to have to move the ball around very quickly in tight spaces". It'll be a really great final.
Griezmann and Diego Costa will lead Simeone's attack as Atletico return to Lyon, where they lost 3-0 to Dynamo Kiev in the final of the now defunct Cup Winners' Cup in 1986. "It will be a tense game with a lot of friction". However, he said his team would be in safe hands with his loyal assistant coach German "Mono" Burgos. "We think the same and have worked together for so long".
Cheered on by what seemed to be about 80 percent of the 59,000 crowd at the Stade de Lyon, Marseille made by far the better start - only for a crucial error on 20 minutes from young midfielder Andre Zambo Anguissa to be punished ruthlessly by Atletico's number seven.
NV monitors the progress of the final game of the Europa League Marseille - Atletico Madrid, as well as events around her. Payet soon succumbing to injury was another huge blow, as the France global was his team's most likely to magic a way through the super-tight Atletico defence.
"It was a shame for Arsenal as they have a good squad and good quality, but Atletico are a great team", said Pires. We've proven that we could overcome some steep challenges.
However, the club's biggest moment was tainted after it was alleged that players from struggling Valenciennes - who played Marseille the week before the Milan clash - had been asked by then-OM president Bernard Tapie to "go easy" in order to reduce the risk of his players picking up an injury. Atletico go into the encounter as favourites, however, the Spanish side needs to be wary of their opponents who will be gunning to add the Europa title to their cabinet. "We did our thing, defended well, were a hard team and took advantage of an error".
- Nawaz Sharif 'Speaking Modi's Words' On Mumbai Attacks: Top 10 Developments
- United States issues red alert for Hawaii volcanic eruption
- You Need This Thanos Infinity Gauntlet Cup In Your Life
- Golden Knights top Jets 3-1, tie up Western Conference finals
- Trade Negotiations in Washington: US 'looking for a deal' with China
- Jupiter's Moon Europa Shoots Water Into Space, New Research Suggests
- First Pashinyan-Putin meeting was familiarizing
- Mercedes' bosses want to see my contract extension: Hamilton
- Iran foreign minister sets off on tour to save nuclear deal
- Pakistan, Turkey to raise voice against Israeli atrocities at world forums